Barclay Damon attorneys assist Canadians with the full range of U.S. legal services they may require. We advise clients as they establish, maintain, expand, and diversify their U.S. presence and business operations. We meet many clients in our convenient downtown Toronto office or at their offices around the Greater Toronto Area and throughout Southern Ontario.
Our attorneys serve individuals, start-up businesses, mature companies, and large, multinational corporations, providing legal services to a broad array of Canadian clients from diverse industries, including software and IT, energy, financial, insurance, transportation, manufacturing, professional athletes, and many more.
Some of the legal areas in which Barclay Damon lawyers have extensive experience are:
- Business formation and structuring, sales, and mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Immigration, citizenship, and customs
- Intellectual property and licensing
- Litigation, including insurance defense and re-insurance
- Estate planning and tax matters
- Labor and employment
- Real estate transactions
- State and local tax compliance, including sales, use, and income tax
We frequently coordinate our representation with Canadian counsel, accountants, and financial advisors to provide recommendations that meet the goals of our clients in both countries.
Barclay Damon is proud to be a leadership member of the founding board of InvestUSA Toronto, a cross-border initiative of the U.S. Consulate, and we have strong relationships with numerous Canadian law firms, accounting firms, financial advisors, and professional and industry groups, including Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters, the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario, the Ontario Bar Association, and the Law Society of Upper Canada. Many of these organizations rely on presentations by Barclay Damon attorneys to educate their members on current legal topics.
With offices on both sides of the Canada-U.S. border and in New York City, Boston, Washington DC, and other strategic locations, Barclay Damon is optimally located to guide Canadian businesses in their U.S. expansion and operations. As a full-service law firm practicing in virtually every area of U.S. law that Canadian clients are likely to need, the 275 attorneys of Barclay Damon are ready to help ensure clients’ cross-border success.
Canada/Cross-Border Team Leader
Practice Area Alerts
- US Department of Labor Releases New Fact Sheet for Higher Ed on Overtime Pay
- The Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018 Reinstates Limits on Medicaid’s Third-Party Rights to Settlement Awards
- Providers Face Uncertainty on Fees for Copying Medical Records
- Federal Communications Commission Approves New Rules Exempting Small Cell Wireless Facilities From NHPA/NEPA Review