Insurance Coverage & Regulation
The Insurance Coverage & Regulation Practice Area is broad in scope and reach, and our attorneys have substantial experience in issues that run the breadth of the industry.
Our attorneys have extensive experience providing counsel to clients and litigating practically every type of property, casualty, personal and commercial auto, life, health, workers’ compensation, disability, and long-term care coverage as well as facultative and treaty reinsurance, captives, and syndicates. Our attorneys are often called upon to provide advice on policy and coverage requirements in longstanding and established areas of insurance as well as emerging and developing fields such as cyber liability. They are intimately familiar with insurance coverages and underwriting concerns and have a working knowledge of the sophisticated statutes, regulations, administrative orders, and applicable judicial authority.
- Routinely litigate insurance-related disputes throughout the United States and participate in arbitration and mediation proceedings when appropriate. We have been responsible for a number of coverage trials and leading appellate decisions.
- Assist clients with evaluating and resolving insurance and risk-management issues and crafting risk-transfer mechanisms to minimize exposures and reduce claims.
- Advise on claims-handling issues, operations and compliance issues, licensing, and complaints before state insurance departments. Our attorneys routinely interact with insurance regulators such as the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions and UK and Candian regulatory authorities on a wide variety of matters.
- Audit and counsel on reinsurance claims handling and presentation, XPL and ECO losses, contract construction and interpretation, reserves, risk management, and other subjects.
Our attorneys have a depth of experience in a variety of specialized topics, including transportation risk and commercial auto litigation representing trucking and bus companies, transportation brokers, garages, and tow operators; first-party claims such as arson and misrepresentation; bad faith and extracontractual disputes; rail-disaster-claim administration; and premium and classification disputes.
Our insurance coverage and regulation attorneys provide prompt, comprehensive, and relevant advice to clients on pending insurance issues, including through the publication of monthly insurance coverage email alerts, and offer real-world solutions to resolve complex problems.
Insurance Coverage & Regulation Chair
Practice Area Alerts
- NYS Appellate Court Holds That Whether Provision in Construction Contract Required Additional Insured Coverage Presented Question of Fact
- Child Victims Act Signed Into Law, Extending Statute of Limitations for Victims of Sexual Abuse
- 2019 Transportation Law Update
- Insurance Bad-Faith Claims May Arise for Failing to Act Promptly During Jury Deliberations