Jesse Dunbar represents insurance, reinsurance and corporate clients in the U.S., UK, Bermuda and Europe on a wide variety of coverage, litigation, administrative and other matters. In more than 20 years of practice, mostly as outside counsel, he has represented and counseled clients on a variety of subject areas including primary and excess insurance, treaty and facultative reinsurance, general liability, professional liability, bad faith, technology insurance, employment and trade secret law, media liability, environmental law and transportation. He also counsels U.S. and foreign reinsurers, insurers and syndicates on many aspects of insurance and reinsurance law, including proposed reinsurance and insurance transactions and reinsurance audits and reviews of active and discontinued businesses. He has also developed a practice centered upon Canadian and Latin American insurance and reinsurance markets.
Jesse served as an assistant general counsel in the U.S. for the global group of insurance and reinsurance companies of Aspen, a NYSE publicly-listed company, based in Bermuda. While at Aspen, and as part of a global legal team in the U.S., Bermuda and the UK, he counseled U.S., Canadian, and Latin American-based insurance and reinsurance businesses on a variety of legal matters, including dispute matters. He also was responsible for various corporate, transactional, regulatory and compliance matters. In addition he served on executive committees, including those relating to the global insurance and reinsurance business in the U.S., Canada and Latin America, as well as in claims. He incorporates his experience as a general counsel, including valuable lessons learned, into his practice.
Before law school, Jesse conducted economic and financial diplomacy for the U.S. in Europe and the Middle East on behalf of the Office of the Assistant Secretary for International Affairs of the United States Department of the Treasury. This experience helped to shape his early interest in international legal matters.
- Provides coverage advice and counseling to primary and excess insurers and reinsurers on significant and often complex matters relating to general liability, professional liability, technology insurance, media liability, products liability, environmental law, rail disasters, and cyber-related matters pending in the U.S. and foreign jurisdictions.
- Counsels clients on facultative and treaty claims, captive and other program business, including conducting reviews and audits of active or discontinued medical professional liability, lawyer professional liability, general liability, and other product lines. This work is supported by various other practice areas within the firm, including healthcare.
- Represented clients in litigation in New York state and federal courts and elsewhere (on a pro hac vice basis) in insurance broker and agent, lawyer malpractice, environmental, municipal liability matters, miscellaneous professional liability, insurance and reinsurance coverage, declaratory judgment actions, reinsurance and other arbitration matters, as well as first-party property insurance and personal injury and property damage claims and litigation.
- Represented various reinsurers and cedants on US reinsurance arbitrations and litigation relating to active and discontinued reinsurance business.
- Counsels and advises executives and claims leadership on existing and new potential insurance products and program business, including endorsements, risk management, and related services.
- Counseled insurance company client, led investigations and managed counsel in successful resolution of significant claim exposure matter arising from an excess verdict in a professional liability matter.
- Counseled insurance and reinsurance companies in trade secret and employment disputes including federal and state litigation in New York and other jurisdictions.
- Advises in-house legal and executive clients on legal issues of concern to the insurance or reinsurance company leadership relating to U.S. insurance and reinsurance business.
- American University, School of International Service, B.A., 1987
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., 1993
- New York, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society, Member
- Emory Law School Alumni Association, New York and Connecticut
- "The Interplay between Legal Ethics and Legal Malpractice," American Conference Institute Advanced Forum on LPL/Legal Malpractice Conference, New York, NY, October 24, 2016
- "Topical Issues of Importance to the Insurance Industry and to Connecticut's Corporate Citizens," Westchester/Southern Connecticut Association of Corporate Counsel Chapter Event with Hon. Thomas B. Leonardi Commissioner, Connecticut Insurance Department. Westport, CT, September 24, 2013
- "New York’s Contract Certainty Initiative, Excess and Surplus Lines Claims Association/Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel," US Regional Conference New York, NY, June 2009
- "The Right to Associate Counsel in Insurance and Reinsurance Disputes," HB Litigation Conference Philadelphia, PA, February 2009
- "Current Trends and Issues Impacting the Reinsurance Industry," 22nd International Reinsurance Congress, Hamilton, Bermuda, October 2008
- "Innocent Coinsured Doctrine in Property and D&O Insurance and Reinsurance Law," Intermediaries and Reinsurance Underwriters Association, New York, NY, November 2007
- White and Williams, LLP, Counsel
- Aspen Insurance Group, Assistant General Counsel