Rich's practice focuses on domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, other transactional work, and general corporate and business law. His practice includes large and small privately owned and publicly traded business entities. He works with owners in the day-to-day needs of his business clients. Rich has many Canadian and other foreign clients and supports their business activities in the United States. Rich also works with business owners and senior executives with respect to estate planning and business succession.
Rich is a frequent speaker at seminars for Canadian and other foreign entrepreneurs looking to learn more about doing business in the United States.
Rich is a strong supporter of Buffalo and many local charities.
Rich is co-chair of the International Practice Area and Cross-Border team.
- Represented Graphic Controls, a medical device manufacturer, in the sale of Graphic Controls to a publicly traded purchaser for $225 million.
- Represented PCB Piezotronics, a designer and manufacturer of sensors used by scientists and engineers, in the sale of PCB to a publicly traded purchaser for $580 million.
- Represented a publicly traded corporation in connection with the sale of approximately $60 million worth of oil and gas property interests, including oil and gas leases, fee interests, rights of way, easements, and other property interests.
- Represented an industrial products manufacturer with plants in New York, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania in connection with a $37 million sale of manufacturing facilities and related assets.
- Represented a wide variety of buyers and sellers of businesses, including a railroad car heating systems manufacturer, HVAC systems manufacturer, hydraulic parts distributor, car dealerships, professional medical and dental practices, commercial nursery, retail lighting and electrical fixtures, industrial safety equipment distributorship, box manufacturing company, restaurants, and bars.
- Represents a Canadian-based manufacture of parts used by major automobile manufacturers and helps negotiate contracts with suppliers and customers.
- Represents an international supplier of injected molded parts with manufacturing facilities in the United States, Mexico, and China. Regularly reviews and consults with the client in respect to contracts with suppliers and customers.
- Represents a national real estate developer specializing in commercial office projects, primarily in New York, Colorado, and Texas.
- Represents an international manufacturer of frozen Italian food products and handles all of the client's day-to-day corporate and contract requirements, acquisitions, and related matters.
- Represents local and national franchisees, including Burger King franchisees.
- Represents a wide variety of manufacturers and distributors of both industrial and consumer products in respect to day-to-day business needs, mergers and acquisitions, and contract-related projects.
- Represents manufacturers of floating boom and other products used to contain oil spills.
- Represents a European-based manufacturer of industrial lighting products with respect to US activities.
- Cornell Law School, J.D., Omicron Delta Kappa, 1976
- Bucknell University, B.A., cum laude, 1973
- New York, 1977
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association, International Law Committee
- Daemen College, Trustee
- Forest Lawn Cemetery, Trustee
- Forest Lawn Heritage Foundation, Trustee
- Orchard Park Police Department Foundation, Trustee
- NY State Tourism Advisory Council, Former Member appointed by Governor Pataki
- National Warplane Museum, Director and Former President and Board Chairman
- Leadership Buffalo, Director and Dormer President and Chairman
- Buffalo Niagara Partnership, Former Community Council Member
- Erie County Sheriff’s Department Aviation Division, Former Member and Legal Officer
- Orchard Park Foundation for Academic Excellence, Inc., Former Trustee
- Samuel Friedman Foundation, Inc., Former Trustee
- University of Buffalo Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership program, "Reactor," 2005-2012
- "Enhanced Cross-Border Strategies for Canadian Businesses," Neurose Business Seminars, Mississauga, Ontario, May 2017
- "Asset v. Stock Purchase & Sale Transactions," Multiple Presentations
- "The Responsibilities of Trustees of Not-for-Profit Entities," Multiple Presentations
- "New York's New Benefit Corporation Statute," Multiple Presentations
- “Contract Issues Related to Engaging Independent Sales Representatives," Multiple Presentations
- “Doing Business in the United States – Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, and Other Choices,” Canadian General Consulate Office: “New Exporters – Border States,” Multiple Presentations
- “Rainmaking and Client Service Issues,” University at Buffalo Law School, Guest Lecturer
- Martindale-Hubbell “BV” Distinguished Peer Review Rated for High to Very High Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business - New York Upstate for Corporate/M&A, 2015 and 2016
- National Warplane Museum Award of Excellence for Leadership
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner