Mike Ferdman is an experienced trial attorney who has tried cases in federal court, bankruptcy court, New York State courts as well as courts in a number of other states. Mike concentrates his practice on business disputes, including breach of contract actions and UCC Article 2 disputes. He also tries personal injury and products liability cases, representing manufacturers and utility companies. He has represented several individuals who have been investigated by the New York State Attorney General, including an owner of several cooperative buildings in New York City, a process serving company that was being investigated for possible fraudulent service and appraisers investigated for possible fraudulent appraisals.
Mike is an experienced construction attorney and has lectured many times on construction related topics. He has successfully represented building owners, architects and contractors. He has extensive experience relating to sureties. Moreover, Mike is a building owner himself, having partnered on three major projects in Buffalo’s Elmwood Village where for six years he was the president of Forever Elmwood, a neighborhood organization dedicated to the improvement of that part of Buffalo. Mike has won several awards for his effective leadership of that organization and the positive impact he has had on the success of the Elmwood Village.
For many years Mike has represented major lenders in commercial loan suits and restructures. Mike also represents companies involved in various aspects of the dairy industry, including milk processors, nutritionists and feed sellers. Finally, Mike has a strong background in transportation matters, having represented railroads. He successfully tried a case in bankruptcy court on behalf of a manufacturer against a major trucking company.
- Advised our client, an automobile parts manufacturer, of its contract rights under Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code and under the contracts it had entered into with the automobile manufacturer, and as a result of our analysis and advice, the client was able to renegotiate a new set of contracts that saved them millions of dollars.
- Defended a milk manufacturer in a New Jersey state court trial against a milk distributor's claim of fraud and interference with business relations, the court granted our motion to dismiss after the plaintiff completed its case.
- Represented a large owner of residential cooperative apartments in New York City in several civil actions brought by the New York State Attorney General regarding claimed violations of state disclosure laws. Also represented the same client in actions brought by the coop boards of the buildings in question. After several years of litigation, favorably settled the matter with the AG and the co-op boards.
- Successfully tried case in bankruptcy court (adversary proceeding) in which our client obtained a verdict of $1.5 million over a trucking company for breach of a contract in which the trucking company agreed to purchase liners for the transport of sugar and grains from our client, refuting the trucking company's claim that the liners did not operate as claimed.
- St. John's University School of Law, J.D., 1979
- Rutgers College, B.A., Henry Rutgers Scholar, 1973
- New York, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- New York State Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Alumna
- Forever Elmwood, Inc., President (1997-2003)
- Buffalo Police Foundation, Board of Directors and Secretary (1997-1999)
- Buffalo Seminary Board of Directors
- Lectures frequently on a variety of litigation-related topics
- Business First of Buffalo, 2017 Legal Elite Leaders of Western New York
- Selected by Peer Review for Inclusion in Super Lawyer Directory, 2016, 2017 for Business Law
- Buffalo Police Department Community Service Award, 1997
- Strathmore’s Who’s Who?, listed 1999-present
- Livable Community Award, Partners For a Livable Western New York 2002
- Good Neighbor Citation, Niagara Lutheran Health Foundation, 2003
- Forever Elmwood - Outstanding Service to the Community Award, 2004
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV” Peer Review Rated for Very High to Preeminent Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Recognized by Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2016 Edition New York Upstate for Litigation: General Commercial for the second consecutive year
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner