Sanjeev Devabhakthuni focuses his practice on appellate advocacy, litigated tort defense, and insurance coverage disputes. Sanjeev represents individuals and businesses in a broad range of tort defense matters, ranging from simple accidents to complex exposure-related cases. Sanjeev also actively litigates insurance coverage disputes in declaratory judgment actions throughout the state.
Prior to joining Barclay Damon, Sanjeev served as an appellate court attorney at the New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Fourth Judicial Department. Since joining the firm, Sanjeev has worked on numerous appeals in state and federal courts, including successful appeals before the NYS Appellate Division, the New York Court of Appeals, and the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Sanjeev’s education and background allow him to understand the complex issues facing his clients and effectively represent those interests in both litigated and non-litigated matters. Sanjeev graduated summa cum laude from Albany Law School, where he received the Cameron-Danaher Prize as the graduate with the highest standing in the subjects of civil procedure and evidence.
- Steiner v. Anbrook Indus., No. 17-cv-5187, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 57324 (S.D.N.Y. Apr. 4, 2018): Successfully defended an insurance company being sued in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York by a plaintiff alleging that the insurer owed coverage under an insurance policy issued to a roofing contractor that performed allegedly defective work; obtained summary judgment from the court on all claims against the insurer by utilizing the “no direct action” defense.
- Represented an insurance company being sued by a plaintiff alleging that the insurer owed coverage under an insurance policy issued to a roofing contractor that performed allegedly defective work; obtained summary judgment from the court on all claims against the insurer.
- Successfully represented clients in numerous declaratory judgment lawsuits involving questions of insurance coverage in the context of first-party loss and third-party liability.
- Successfully represented clients in various simple and complex personal injury and professional liability lawsuits, including premises liability, legal malpractice, and accounting malpractice actions.
- Successfully prosecuted and defended numerous appeals in state and federal courts.
- In 2016, obtained summary judgment dismissal of a products liability lawsuit against a large retail store client.
- In 2015, obtained summary judgment dismissal of a malpractice lawsuit against an attorney arising from a real estate transaction.
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., summa cum laude, Cameron-Danaher Prize recipient, Albany Law Review, Editorial Board, 2010
- West Virginia University, B.A., 2005
- New York, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- ARIAS-U.S., Member
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Monroe County Bar Association Young Lawyers Section
- Monroe County Volunteer Legal Services Project, Volunteer Attorney
- "Coverage and Legal Malpractice," New York State Bar Association, 2017
- "Undocumented Workers Gaining Protection in NY," Law360, May 7, 2014
- "What Is An Elevation-Related Risk In The Wake Of Runner?" The Defendant, The Labor Law Issue, Winter 2014
- Volunteer Legal Services Project of Monroe County's William E. McKnight Award for pro bono work, 2014
- New York State Bar Association Empire State Counsel Honoree, 2013
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Associate
- New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Fourth Department, Appellate Court Attorney
- McNamee Lochner Titus & Williams, PC, Law Clerk