Bob Heary has more than 20 years of experience representing employers and their management teams in all aspects of labor and employment law.
Bob routinely advises public, private and not-for-profit businesses, as well as municipal employers, with respect to labor and employment matters, including compliance with applicable labor and employment laws, labor-management relations, development and implementation of employment practices and policies, and managing employee performance issues. Bob also represents employers in federal and state court actions, as well as in administrative proceedings involving federal and state agencies, including the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the New York State Division of Human Rights, the National Labor Relations Board, the New York State Public Employment Relations Board, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and the New York State and United States Departments of Labor.
Bob’s practice includes defending employers charged with discrimination, breach of contract, wrongful discharge, wage and hour violations, unfair labor practices, and other employment disputes. Bob also represents employers in the enforcement of restrictive covenants involving confidentiality and non-competition. In addition, Bob’s practice includes counseling and representing management in union organizing campaigns, collective bargaining negotiations, and grievance and arbitration proceedings.
In addition to his practice, Bob is the Practice Group Leader for the firm's Business Services Practice Group.
- Bob has successfully defended or resolved numerous employment-related claims brought against employers, including the following:
- Defended a U.S. subsidiary of a South American food manufacturer against unfair labor practice charges filed by several former employees following an unsuccessful union organizing attempt at the employees’ facility, resulting in dismissal/withdrawal of all of the charges.
- Successfully represented the former president of the Board of Education of the Lackawanna City School District, a co-defendant along with the Board of Education and the School District, in connection with claims of discrimination, retaliation and harassment pursuant to Title VII and Section 1983 brought by three (3) former employees of the school district.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a large medical practice located in Utica, New York in connection with a claim of national origin discrimination by a former employee.
- Represented a large, not-for-profit human services agency located in Schenectady, New York in successfully defending several discrimination claims made by former employees.
- Obtained summary judgment, which was sustained on appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, on behalf of a High School Principal who was a co-defendant along with the Buffalo Board of Education in a Section 1983 First Amendment retaliation claim.
- Resolved class action race discrimination lawsuit brought by the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on behalf of more than seventy (70) current and former employees against a large commercial roofing contractor.
- Obtained partial summary judgment, partial jury verdict and, ultimately, judgment as a matter of law, which was affirmed on appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, in connection with same-sex sexual harassment and retaliation claim brought by a former employee against the operator of a nuclear power plant.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of U.S. subsidiary of a Japanese manufacturing company in connection with claims of age discrimination and breach of contract.
- Resolved class action sexual harassment lawsuit brought by the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on behalf of eighteen (18) current and former female employees brought against a sales distribution company.
- SUNY Buffalo Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1991
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.S., 1986
- New York, 1992
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- University at Buffalo Law School Alumni Association, President, Board of Directors
- Erie County Bar Association, Volunteer Lawyers Project, Director
- Lectures frequently on labor and employee relations
- Selected by Peer Review for Inclusion in Super Lawyer Directory 2007-2016 for Employment & Labor
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2013-2017 for Employment Law - Management
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Cohen, Swados, Wright, Hanifin, Bradford & Brett, LLP, Partner