Robert Portin is known for his work in health law, particularly with respect to issues facing hospitals, physician groups, ambulatory surgery centers, hospices and long term care facilities. His practice focuses on health care regulatory matters, and he has extensive experience representing health care clients on issues ranging from fraud and abuse to the withholding of treatment. He is also experienced in defending Medicare and other payer audits, structuring health care joint ventures, defending professional disciplinary actions and representing financially troubled health care providers. Robert has made presentations to the New York State Health Department concerning “Proposed Medicaid Access Regulations” and to the New York State Task Force on “Life and the Law Regarding the Determination of Death.” He has also served on the ethics committees of two institutional providers.
Robert also has extensive experience in representing health care providers, businesses and individuals with respect to a wide array of contract, business and corporate law matters. As part of his practice, he regularly counsels these clients, supervises their interests and advises them on negotiations. Robert is also experienced in structuring and negotiating acquisition, finance, commercial lease, joint venture, license and other commercial transactions.
Robert has traveled extensively throughout Europe and the former Soviet Union, and his interests include history, politics and professional sports. He also serves and/or has served on the boards of several not-for-profit corporations and human service providers.
- Hamilton College, B.A., 1977
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D., 1980
- New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- “Proposed Medicaid Access Regulations,” presented to New York State Health Department
- “Life and the Law Regarding the Determination of Death,” Presented to the New York State Task Force
- Selected by Peer Review for Inclusion in The Best Lawyer in America, 2009 -2014, 2016-2018 Corporate Law, Health Care Law
- Selected by Peer Review for Inclusion in The Best Lawyer in America, 2014 Buffalo Health Care Law Lawyer of the Year
- Selected by Peer Review for Inclusion in Super Lawyer Directory, 2014-2017 for Health Care
- Damon Morey LLP, Partner