Peter Marlette devotes a substantial portion of his practice to the defense of high exposure products liability and toxic substance litigation. Peter counsels and advises businesses on products liability issues and product recalls. He also represents corporations in large commercial litigation and arbitrations both domestically and internationally. Peter served as Damon Morey's managing partner prior to its merger with Hiscock & Barclay and currently serves as managing director of Barclay Damon’s Buffalo, Toronto, and Clarence offices. Peter also serves on the firm’s Management Committee.
In 2010, Peter was selected as a Litigation Counsel of America fellow. Additionally, he is a former Board of Directors vice-chair at ALFA International, the oldest and largest network of independent American and international law firms. He has also served as co-chair of ALFA International's Law Firm Management Practice Group and chair of ALFA’s Eastern Great Lakes Practice Group. In 2011, he was appointed to the Advisory Board of Managing Partner Forum, a national organization dedicated to helping managing partners be the most effective leaders they can by providing educational, networking, and leadership development skills to managing partners and law firm leaders.
In 2013, Peter was appointed by Governor Andrew Cuomo to serve as Erie County Fiscal Stability Authority director and vice-chair.
- Lead attorney in a major international arbitration involving cellular telephone contracts in Sweden, Russia, and former Soviet Union Republics. Claims of over $125 million in damages. After 10 days of arbitration, the three-person panel returned a unanimous no-cause decision in favor of the Swedish corporation that Peter was representing.
- Has successfully tried several asbestos trials to verdict and served as lead trial counsel in trials throughout the United States, including cases in New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Florida, and Minnesota.
- Works with the general counsel of an international manufacturer of chain and material handling and lifting devices in the selection of local counsel and the development of defense and trial strategy.
- Successfully tried a high exposure closed-head injury case in which the plaintiff’s economist alleged damages in excess of $25 million.
- Successfully counseled an international manufacturer of security devices, an international manufacturer of electrical products, and several food manufacturers and distributors on product recalls and withdrawals.
- Dartmouth College, B.A., 1980
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1983
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- Erie County Trial Lawyers Association
- Litigation Council of America
- ALFA International Board of Directors, Vice-Chair
- Advisory Board of Managing Partner Forum
- Kaleida Health Foundation, Former Board of Directors Chair
- Kaleida Health System, Quality Committee Member
- Buffalo Renaissance Foundation, Board Member and Former President
- Buffalo Business First, Western New York's "Power 250," 2016-2018
- Buffalo Business First, Legal Elite Leaders of Western New York, 2015-2017
- The Best Lawyers in America: Mass Torts Litigation - Defendants, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2016-2018
- Super Lawyers: 2007-2015, 2017
- Super Lawyers: Top 50 Upstate New York Lawyers, 2013
- Buffalo Business First, Legal Elite of Western New York, 2013
- Buffalo Business First, Western New York's "Power 200," 2013
- Buffalo Business First, Most Influential People in Western New York, 2012
- Buffalo Business First, 40 Under 40
- Buffalo Business First, "Who's Who in Law" List
- Damon Morey LLP, Partner