Peter Marlette devotes a substantial portion of his practice to the defense of high exposure products liability and toxic substance litigation. Peter counsels and advises businesses on products liability issues and product recalls. He also represents corporations in large commercial litigation and arbitrations both domestically and internationally. Peter served as Damon Morey's Managing Partner prior to its merger with Hiscock & Barclay and currently serves as Managing Director of Barclay Damon’s Buffalo office and serves on the firm’s Management Committee.
In 2010, Peter was selected as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America. Additionally, he is a former Vice-Chair of the Board of Directors of ALFA International, the oldest and largest network of independent American and international law firms. He has also served as co-chair of ALFA International's Law Firm Management Practice Group and chair of ALFA’s Eastern Great Lakes Practice Group. In 2011, he was appointed to the Advisory Board of Managing Partner Forum, a national organization dedicated to helping managing partners be the most effective leaders they can be by providing educational, networking and leadership development skills to managing partners and law firm leaders.
Peter was appointed in 2013 by Governor Andrew Cuomo to serve as Director and Vice-Chair of the Erie County Fiscal Stability Authority.
- Lead attorney in a major international arbitration involving cellular telephone contracts in Sweden, Russia, and former Soviet Union Republics. Claims of over $125 million in damages. After ten days of arbitration, three person panel returned a unanimous no-cause decision in favor of the Swedish corporation that Peter was representing.
- Has successfully tried several asbestos trials to verdict and has served as lead trial counsel in trials throughout the United States, including cases in New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Florida, and Minnesota.
- Works with General Counsel of an international manufacturer of chain and material handling and lifting devices in the selection of local counsel and the development of defense and trial strategy.
- Successfully tried a high exposure closed-head injury case in which the plaintiff’s economist alleged damages in excess of $25 million.
- Worked with executive leadership of an international manufacturer of security devices on a product recall.
- Provided counsel to an international manufacturer of electrical products on a product recall.
- Dartmouth College, B.A., 1980
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1983
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- Erie County Trial Lawyers Association
- Litigation Council of America
- ALFA International Board of Directors, Vice-Chair
- Advisory Board of Managing Partner Forum
- Kaleida Health Foundation, former Chair of Board of Directors
- Kaleida Health System, Member of Quality Committee
- Buffalo Renaissance Foundation, Board Member, Former President
- Business First of Buffalo, 2015-2017 Legal Elite Leaders of Western New York
- Business First of Buffalo, 2016-2018 Western New York's "Power 250"
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2018 for Mass Torts Litigation - Defendants, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Selected by Peer Review for Inclusion in Super Lawyer Directory, 2007-2015, 2017
- Super Lawyer, 2013 Top 50 Upstate New York Lawyer6
- Business First of Buffalo, 2013 Legal Elite of Western New York
- Business First of Buffalo, 2013 Western New York's "Power 200"
- Business First of Buffalo, 2012 Most Influential People in Western New York
- Business First of Buffalo, 40 Under Forty
- Business First of Buffalo, "Who's Who in Law" List
- Damon Morey LLP, Partner