Mark R. McNamara
The Avant Building
200 Delaware Avenue
Buffalo, New York 14202
1325 G Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20005
As Real Property Tax & Condemnation Practice Area chair, Mark divides his time between the firm’s offices. He is an experienced trial lawyer who concentrates his practice on eminent domain and real property tax assessment matters. With over 25 years of experience, Mark has successfully acted as condemners’s counsel in planning and litigating the acquisition of property interests by eminent domain in a variety of major projects, including the development of professional sports stadiums, industrial parks, regional mall expansions, electric generating facilities, and natural gas and electric transmission lines. He has also represented numerous condemners and condemnees in just compensation valuation proceedings. A major part of his practice also involves litigating property tax assessment challenges involving power plants, manufacturing, warehouse, distribution, office, and commercial facilities.
- Defense of municipalities in RPTL Article 7 tax assessment proceedings challenging assessments of heavy industrial aluminum smelting facilities, shopping centers, big box retail facilities, and various other commercial facilities.
- Property tax litigation over the tax assessment of a 685 MW generating station and the negotiation of a payment in lieu of tax agreement (PILOT) with the municipalities and Niagara County Industrial Development Agency.
- Property tax litigation over the tax assessment of a 1,000,000+ SF national brewery and distribution facility and the negotiation of a PILOT with the municipality's Industrial Development Agency.
- Property tax assessment litigation challenging the assessments of the Chautauqua County steam and generating stations and negotiation of PILOTs with the Chautauqua County Industrial Development Agency and the Erie County Industrial Development Agency.
- Represented a condemner industrial development agency in the acquisition of more than 60 acres of property in connection with the retail/commercial development Carousel Landing project.
- Represent condemner in the acquisition of various lease rights from anchor tenants of Carousel Center Mall for the development of the major expansion of the mall into Destiny USA.
- Acquisition of property interests by eminent domain for the development of an NHL franchise’s sports arena.
- Acquisition of property by eminent domain for the development of a parking and retail facility and trial over the property owner's claim of just compensation damages.
- Acquisition of property by eminent domain for the development of a highly visible regional conference center/hotel in Ithaca, New York.
- Defended a county airport in various trials involving just compensation damages claims brought by property owners whose property was acquired in connection with the expansion of the Genesee County Airport clear zones.
- Acquisition of property for the expansion of the Augspurger Parking Ramp in Buffalo, New York.
- Acquisition of property interests from multiple property owners for the development of a Triple-A baseball stadium in Buffalo, New York.
- Acquisition of property from numerous property owners for the development of the 500-acre Upstate New York industrial park.
- Acquisition of property by eminent domain for the development of a hotel project in Geneva, New York.
- Acquisition of property interests for the construction of interstate natural gas pipelines.
- Acquisition of easement interests in connection with the reconstruction of a transmission line.