Karen provides clients with comprehensive counsel on all aspects of estate planning and business-succession matters. She advises on gift and income-tax planning; administration of trusts and estates; preparation of wills, revocable living trusts, and irrevocable trusts; durable powers of attorney; health care proxies and beneficiary designations; restructuring; and coordination of assets. Karen also provides guidance on pre- and post-nuptial agreements, estate-plan design, elder law, family limited partnerships, and limited liability companies.
Specific to business matters, Karen counsels owners on legal and tax issues, including succession planning; tax planning; financial transactions; mergers and acquisitions; general business matters; the formation and structuring of business entities, including C and S corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, professional corporations, and other entities for licensed professionals; and developing owner agreements, including operating, shareholder, and buy-sell agreements to achieve business and estate planning goals and compliance.
Karen is co-chair of Barclay Damon’s Trusts & Estates Practice Area.
- Albany Law School, J.D.
- Michigan State University, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- Monroe County Bar Association, Trusts and Estates Section, Executive Council Chair
- Monroe County Bar Association, Business Law Council, Chair
- New York State Bar Association, Trusts and Estates Section
- New York State Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Estate Planning Council of Rochester
- Greater Rochester Association of Women Attorneys
- Education Success Network, Inc., Board of Directors Member
- Encompass: Resources for Learning, Inc., Board of Directors Member
- The Best Lawyers of America®, Trusts and Estates and Corporate Law, 2018
- Selected to Super Lawyers, 2017-2018
- The Daily Record, Top Women in Law, 2014
- Lacy Katzen LLP, Partner