Jon Devendorf is a trial attorney with more than 20 years of litigation experience in state and federal courts, administrative and regulatory forums and arbitration and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. Jon handles a wide array of complex commercial and real estate litigation and brings strategic guidance, effective solutions and seasoned advocacy to his clients.
In the commercial context, Jon regularly counsels and represents clients in the assessment of and response to business disputes. His clients include public and private companies, regulated entities, sole member and closely-held businesses and individuals. Jon prosecutes and defends claims involving business contracts, partnership agreements, shareholder interests, corporate dissolution, financial disputes and other business interests. He also draws upon his early training as an Assistant District Attorney to investigate, prosecute and defend matters involving corporate claims for damages and asset recovery for employee deceit, misconduct and fraud.
In the real estate context, Jon represents title insurers, title agencies, land-use organizations, member associations and individuals in disputes concerning real estate interests. He regularly handles actions involving title to real property, boundary disagreements, easements and land use rights, waterfront interests, timber disputes and other matters affecting the rights and interests in property.
Jon has always been active in the administration of the firm, and is an elected member of our Compensation Committee. Jon is also Co-Chair of the firm’s Commercial Litigation Practice Area, a 60 plus member group of attorneys and paralegals devoted to the representation of firm clients in commercial litigation matters. Previously, Jon spent nine years as the firm’s Associate Partner overseeing the development and growth of the firm’s associate program from 12 to upwards of 50 associate attorneys. He remains active in the training and mentoring of new attorneys, and is a past recipient of the firm’s Clifford H. Wilson award for excellence in mentoring.
- St. John's University School of Law, J.D., 1990
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A., 1987
- New York, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- Onondaga County Bar Association, Board of Directors
- United Way's Policy Council for Success by Six, Chair of Legislative Team, promoting programs of literacy, nutrition & health care for youths
- Onondaga County Bar Association Board of Directors
- Boys & Girls Club of Syracuse, Executive Board
- Selected by Peer Review for Inclusion in Super Lawyer Directory 2009-2016 for Business Litigation
- Martindale-Hubbell “BV” Peer Review Rated for High to Very High Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Recipient of 2012 Onondaga County Bar Association Local Pro Bono Award
- Recognized by Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2016 Edition New York Upstate for Litigation: General Commercial for the second consecutive year
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Assistant District Attorney, Westchester County, New York