Jon Devendorf is a trial attorney with more than 25 years of litigation experience in state and federal courts, administrative and regulatory forums, arbitration, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. Jon handles a wide array of complex commercial and real estate litigation, bringing strategic guidance, effective solutions, and seasoned advocacy to his clients.
In the commercial context, Jon regularly counsels and represents clients in the assessment of and response to business disputes. His clients include public and private companies, regulated entities, sole member and closely held businesses, and individuals. Jon prosecutes and defends claims involving business contracts, partnership agreements, shareholder interests, corporate dissolution, financial disputes, and other business interests. He also draws upon his early training as an assistant district attorney to investigate, prosecute, and defend matters involving corporate claims for damages and asset recovery for employee deceit, misconduct, and fraud.
In the real estate context, Jon represents title insurers, title agencies, land use organizations, member associations, and individuals in disputes concerning real estate interests. He regularly handles actions involving title to real property, boundary disagreements, easements and land use rights, waterfront interests, timber disputes, and other matters affecting the rights and interests in property.
Jon has always been active in the administration of the firm and is an elected member and chair of the firm's Compensation Committee. Jon is also a Commercial Litigation Practice Area co-chair, oversseing more than 60 attorneys and paralegals devoted to the representation of firm clients in commercial litigation matters. Previously, Jon spent nine years as the firm’s associate partner, overseeing the development and growth of the firm’s associate program from 12 to over 50 associate attorneys. He remains active in the training and mentoring of new attorneys and is a past recipient of the firm’s Clifford H. Wilson Award for Excellence in Mentoring.
- Representation of a historic foundation in legal proceedings involving title, possession, and deaccessioning claims on a Thomas Cole master painting.
- Representation of government interests in multi-jurisdiction Native American land claims.
- Representation of multi-national telecommunication companies in contract disputes and constitutional challenges to prohibitive regulatory codes.
- Representation of regulated utilities in the prosecution and defense of multi-million dollar contract claims and business disputes.
- Representation of a Fortune 100 defense contractor in the defense of contract action and prosecution of counterclaims.
- Representation of a $10 million trust and fiduciary in contested accounting and decanting proceedings.
- Defense of a class action lawsuit for major New York City retailer.
- Prosecution of a lawsuit for a multi-national manufacturer to recover business opportunity and other losses.
- Successful prosecution of fraud, waste, and corporate malfeasance claims in derivative action leading to a multi-million settlement.
- Successful defense of shareholder derivative action for a major manufacturer, leading to case dismissal.
- Successful defense of a franchisee against an auto manufacturer in termination action.
- Successful defense of a class action lawsuit seeking to block a bank merger.
- St. John's University School of Law, J.D., 1990
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A., 1987
- New York, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- Onondaga County Bar Association, Board of Directors Member
- United Way's Policy Council for Success by Six Legislative Team Chair, promoting youth literacy, nutrition, and health care program
- Boys & Girls Club of Syracuse, Executive Board Member
- Super Lawyers: Business Litigation, 2009-2017
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business - Litigation: General Commercial (Upstate New York), 2015-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell “BV” Peer Review Rated for High to Very High Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Onondaga County Bar Association Local Pro Bono Award, 2012
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Westchester County, New York, Assistant District Attorney