Jim possesses more than 30 years of experience in the areas of commercial/corporate law and finance law. During his years in practice, Jim has acted as sole counsel, general outside counsel, and as adjunct to in-house counsel for a number of individuals and privately and publically held companies, ranging from sole proprietorships to publicly-held multinational corporations in formation, corporate maintenance, and a wide range of transactional matters.
Jim is a Corporate Practice Area co-chair with substantial experience in areas of mergers and acquisitions/divestitures and in a variety of lending transactions from both the lenders' and borrowers' perspective, including asset/formula-based lending, letter of credit facilities, and construction financing. His representation includes borrowers on project-specific non-recourse loans through the commercial mortgage-backed securitization market.
In handling mergers and acquisitions/divestitures and financing transactions throughout the U.S., Jim has acted as lead and local counsel, assisting with state law issues and matters. As part of Barclay Damon's collaborative teams, he often works with attorneys bringing various specialties to the table, including tax, real estate, environmental, regulatory and, with regard to succession planning issues, trust and estate attorneys. Jim is a member of several multi-disciplinary teams, representing clients in a number of regulated industries including national and multi-national energy clients.
Jim is also on the White New York Business Entities board of editors.
- Represented an Industrial Development Agency, fee owner, and issuer of $325 million in municipal bonds secured by PILOT mortgages on facility in negotiating intercreditor and other agreements with JP Morgan Chase Bank and mezzanine lenders regarding approximately $450 million in refinancing of a regional shopping/entertainment center.
- Representing a number of national and multinational energy clients in various corporate/M&A transactions, as well as commercial matters regarding various facilities.
- Represented leading national distributor of branded consumer electronic goods in addressing succession issues through the granting of profits interest and in refinancing with the lender group headed by KeyBank.
- Represented a regional printing company and principals in negotiating the turn-over of operating assets to a secured lender, restructuring the remaining indebtedness and negotiating various agreements, including employment and lease agreements, with the ultimate purchaser.
- Representing an emerging manufacturer of air conditioners and principals regarding the structure of the new entity, formation, operations, and intellectual property issues, including patent applications.
- Represented minority shareholders/employees of a business documentation company in negotiating a leveraged buy-out with existing shareholders as well as required financing.
- Represented a publicly traded hospitality industry technology solutions provider in refinancing a line of credit with JP Morgan Chase Bank as administrative bank and co-lender.
- Represented a real estate development and management company in the acquisition and financing of its acquisition of a historic hotel in Missouri.
- Represented a member of a New Jersey sand and gravel company in electing and effectuating a multi-million buy-out by working with the client's general counsel.
- Assisted an international utility in preparation of form loan documentation in furtherance of the emergency economic loan program approved by NYS Public Service Commission.
- Represented a Fortune 50 affiliate company with regard to the transfer of a co-generation facility.
- Represented affiliates of a real estate investment company in acquiring numerous shopping centers in five states and related financing transactions including retaining and working with local counsel.
- Represented an international financial institution in the issuance of letters of credit providing third-party support for industrial development agency bonds.
- Working with in-house counsel, represented a national manufacturer of medical devices in negotiating and consummating the sale of various segments of its business.
- Represented a national financial institution in negotiating and closing on a $50 million line of credit extension with a publicly traded customer.
- Provide general corporate and special health care counsel to various medical practice groups affiliated with SUNY Upstate Medical with regards to various transactional and operational matters as they arise.
- Representing Scorpion Security Products, Inc. and principal thereof in negotiating terms of conversion of an aggregate of $1.25 million in existing debt into equity and the issuance of an additional $750,000 in new equity.
- Formation of Bhutanese Community in Syracuse, Inc. and qualification as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit.
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., 1979
- LeMoyne College, B.S., 1975
- New York, 1980
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- White, New York Business Entities, Board of Editors Member
- Frequent lecturer for legal and trade associations on corporate matters, financing, and other issues.
- Martindale-Hubbell “BV” Peer Review Rated for High to Very High Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Syracuse Corporate Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Corporate Law, 2013-2019
- Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, New York Upstate for Corporate/M&A, 2015-2018
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Hancock & Estabrook, LLP, Partner