Jim Canfield possesses more than 30 years of experience in the areas of commercial/corporate law and finance law. During his years in practice, Jim has acted as sole counsel, general outside counsel and as adjunct to in-house counsel for a number of individuals as well as privately and publically held companies ranging from sole proprietorships to publicly-held multinational corporations in formation, corporate maintenance and a wide range of transactional matters.
Jim is Co-Chair of the firm’s Corporate Practice Area and has substantial experience in areas of mergers and acquisitions/divestitures and in a variety of lending transactions from both the lenders' and borrowers' perspective including asset/formula-based lending, letter of credit facilities and construction financing. His representation includes borrowers on project specific non-recourse loans through the commercial mortgage backed securitization market.
In handling mergers and acquisitions/divestitures and financing transactions throughout the United States, Jim has acted as lead counsel, working with local counsel where necessary, and as local counsel assisting with regard to state law issues/matters. As part of Barclay Damon's collaborative teams, he often works with attorneys bringing various specialties to the table including tax, real estate, environmental/regulatory and, with regard to succession planning issues, trust and estate attorneys. Jim is a member of several multi-disciplinary teams, representing clients in a number of regulated industries including national and multi-national energy clients.
Jim is also a member of the Board of Editors of White New York Business Entities.
- Represented an Industrial Development Agency, fee owner and issuer of $325,000,000 in municipal bonds secured by PILOT mortgages on facility in negotiating intercreditor and other agreements with J. P. Morgan Chase Bank and mezzanine lenders regarding approximately $450,000,000 in refinancing of a regional shopping/entertainment center.
- Representing a number of national and multinational energy clients in various corporate/M&A transactions, as well as commercial matters regarding various facilities.
- Represented leading national distributor of branded consumer electronic goods in addressing succession issues through granting of profits interest and in refinancing with lender group headed by Key Bank.
- Represented regional printing company and principals in negotiating turn-over of operating assets to secured lender, restructuring of remaining indebtedness and negotiating of various agreements with ultimate purchaser including employment and lease agreements.
- Representing emerging manufacturer of air conditioners and principals regarding structure of new entity, formation, operations and intellectual property issues including patent applications.
- Represented minority shareholders/employees of business documentation company in negotiating leveraged buy-out with existing shareholders as well as required financing.
- Represented a publicly traded hospitality industry technology solutions provider in refinancing line of credit with JP Morgan Chase Bank as administrative bank and co-lender.
- Represented real estate development and management company in the acquisition and financing of its acquisition of a historic hotel in Missouri.
- Represented member of New Jersey sand and gravel company in electing and effectuating multi-million dollar buy-out working with client's general counsel.
- Assisted an international utility in preparation of form loan documentation in furtherance of emergency economic loan program approved by NYS Public Service Commission.
- Represented an affiliate of a Fortune 50 company with regard to transfer of co-generation facility.
- Represented affiliates of real estate investment company in acquiring numerous shopping centers in 5 states and related financing transactions including retaining and working with local counsel.
- Represented an international financial institution in issuance of letters of credit providing third party support for industrial development agency bonds.
- Working with in-house counsel, represented a national manufacturer of medical devices in negotiating and consummating the sale of various segments of its business.
- Represented a national financial institution in negotiating and closing on $50,000,000 extension of line of credit with a publicly traded customer.
- Provide general corporate and special healthcare counsel to various medical practice groups affiliated with SUNY Upstate Medical with regards to various transactional and operational matters as they arise.
- Representing Scorpion Security Products, Inc. and principal thereof in negotiating terms of conversion of an aggregate of $1,250,000 in existing debt into equity and issuance of additional $750,000 in new equity.
- Formation of Bhutanese Community in Syracuse, Inc. and qualification as 501(c)(3) not-for-profit.
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., 1979
- LeMoyne College, B.S., 1975
- New York, 1980
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Frequent lecturer for legal and trade associations on corporate matters, financing and other issues.
- Member of the Board of Editors of White, New York Business Entities.
- Martindale-Hubbell “BV” Peer Review Rated for High to Very High Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- The Best Lawyers in America 2015 Syracuse Corporate Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2013-2017 for Corporate Law
- Recognized by Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2016 Edition New York Upstate for Corporate/M&A for the second consecutive year
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Hancock & Estabrook, LLP, Partner