Heather focuses her practice on real estate law, institutional lending and land use and municipal compliance. She negotiates and handles real estate acquisitions, sale transactions, and financing on behalf of clients ranging from individuals to small businesses to national corporations and serves as examining counsel for several title insurance companies. Her financing experience includes representing lenders in both commercial and residential real estate transactions, including conventional mortgage, municipal finance projects, Small Business Administration guaranteed business (both 504 and 7(a) loans), and building and construction loans. Heather is an approved SBA 504 Designated Attorney, and has represented various certified development companies in closing loans throughout New York State. She represents commercial landlords and tenants in lease negotiations and summary/eviction proceedings, including many local and national shopping mall owners and office building owners across the State. In addition, she represents individuals and corporations, including national wireless telecommunications providers, in the negotiation of leases, site acquisition and due diligence projects and the compliance with local and state laws and regulations.
She also has experience in representing many religious corporations and not-for-profit developers in the acquisition, development, sale and financing of commercial and residential properties including assisting religious and not-for-profit corporations in the application process for Supreme Court approval for such transactions required under New York State law. Working together with Barclay Damon's Real Property Tax & Condemnation attorneys, Heather routinely provides support in connection with eminent domain and condemnation matters involving fee acquisitions and easements and rights of way and title examination research. She is also knowledgeable in a wide variety of matters for condominium and homeowner's association developers including CPS-7 exemption applications and preparation of all types of plan amendments. She also assists in civil litigation matters regarding title insurance claims, professional negligence, personal injury and commercial law as well as in matters relating to corporate/partnership formations and trusts and estates.
- Represented client in the purchase of an existing vacant facility including the negotiation of financing with a commercial lender and IDA.
- Closed complex SBA 504 construction loan on behalf of the permanent lender with a simultaneous IDA deal which was a lease/leaseback transaction and a PILOT agreement with the municipality in which the property was located.
- Managed large-scale compliance project for telecommunications client.
- Negotiated multiple leases and lease extensions/addendums for a large medical/corporate office park on behalf of the landlord with large institutional tenants.
- Represented national company in the sale of real estate and fixtures at the former site as part of a charitable taxable deduction.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Executive Director, Syracuse Law & Technology Journal, Justinian Honor Society, 2001
- State University of New York at Oswego, M.A., 1998
- State University of New York at Albany, B.A., 1996
- New York, 2002
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Central New York Women's Bar Association
- National Association of Development Companies
- Friends of the Rosamond Gifford Zoo Board of Directors
- Say Yes to Education, Volunteer Attorney
- Onondaga County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyer Project, Landlord Tenant Court Program, Volunteer Advocate for Tenants
- Habitat for Humanity, Volunteer Attorney for New Home Owners
- Salvation Army Young Leaders Forum
- Fulton Youth Soccer, Coach
- Representing a Client in a Residential Purchase or Sale, Onondaga County Bar Association, January 2005
- Recognized as Upstate New York Rising Star in Super Lawyer Directory 2013-2014, Real Estate
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- NY State Attorney General’s Office, Health Care Bureau, Law Clerk