Gerry focuses his practice on tax and corporate matters as well as estate planning. Gerry provides guidance on a wide range of corporate and tax matters including mergers and acquisitions, structuring like-kind exchanges, drafting complex joint ventures, and succession planning.
Gerry’s clients include large real estate developers with multi-state real estate holdings, energy companies, large family-owned businesses, individuals in need of sophisticated estate planning, and not-for-profit entities. Gerry also has a significant tax controversy practice both on the federal and state level.
Gerry is heavily involved with firm administration and is General Counsel for the firm.
- The sale of a nationally-known design firm to a private venture fund. The management of the seller rolled over their equity in a complex tax transaction. The purchase price was paid partly in cash and partly in subordinated notes.
- Sale of a well-known restaurant to a large venture capital fund.
- Sale of a 100% ESOP-owned company to a venture capital fund.
- Sale of a National Hockey League team, the Tampa Bay Lightning.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 1980
- University of Florida, Levin College of Law, LL.M., 1981
- LeMoyne College, B.A., 1975
- New York, 1980
- North Carolina, 2003
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Syracuse University, Adjunct Professor, Taxation of Pass Through Entities
- "Tax Consequences of Government Incentives," Buffalo Law Journal, December, 29, 2015
- “The Tax Liability in the USA of Americans Living Permanently Abroad,” ZSteu, January 2007
- The Biorefinery in New York-Commercial Cellulosic Ethanol Today, Not in 2012, Biofuels in New York State Conference, Environmental Business Association of New York, March 2007
- Frequent lecturer and panelist for numerous seminars sponsored by the New York State Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Syracuse Tax Law "Lawyer of the Year", 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Tax Law
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV” Peer Review Rated for Very High to Preeminent Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Selected by Peer Review for Inclusion in Super Lawyer Directory 2010-2011 for Tax
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Hancock & Estabrook, LLP, Partner, Tax Practice Group Leader and Firm Executive Committee