Gary Maas concentrates his practice in the areas of health law, not-for-profit corporation law, tax exempt bond transactions, and finance.
Within the health care arena, Gary focuses on finance and development of health care projects, mergers and acquisitions in both the for-profit and not-for-profit sectors, fraud and abuse, anti-trust and other compliance issues.
Gary has acted as borrower’s counsel in numerous tax exempt bond transactions having a total value in excess of one billion dollars. He also represents both borrowers and lenders in numerous conventional financings.
- Lead attorney with respect to project development and financing for a large multi-campus hospital system. Projects have included development of two new hospitals, a new nursing home and a major expansion of an existing hospital facility having a total construction cost of over $500 million
- Co-counsel in development of a medical condominium project having a development cost of $250 million
- Lead attorney with respect to the sale of a large medical practice and related facilities having a total purchase price of $86.6 million
- Representation in the establishment and facility acquisition for several charter schools
- Acted as co-counsel for financing and development of an abandoned historical building. Development costs were financed through a combination of historical tax credits and Empire State Development grants having a total value of approximately $65 million
- Provide ongoing consultation and advice to numerous health care clients with respect to anti self-referral and anti-kickback laws
- Union College, B.A., cum laude, 1975
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1979
- New York State Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2018 for Corporate Law and Health Care Law
- Damon Morey LLP, Partner