Gary Maas concentrates his practice in health law, not-for-profit corporation law, tax exempt bond transactions, and finance.
Within the health care arena, Gary focuses on finance and development of health care projects, mergers and acquisitions in both the for-profit and not-for-profit sectors, fraud and abuse, anti-trust, and additional compliance issues.
Gary has acted as borrower’s counsel in numerous tax exempt bond transactions, having a total value in excess of $1 billion. He also represents both borrowers and lenders in numerous conventional financings.
- Lead attorney with respect to project development and financing for a large multi-campus hospital system. Projects have included the development of two new hospitals, a new nursing home, and a major expansion of an existing hospital facility, with a total construction cost of over $500 million.
- Co-counsel in the development of a medical condominium project with a development cost of $250 million.
- Lead attorney with respect to the sale of a large medical practice and related facilities, with a total purchase price of $86.6 million.
- Representation in the establishment and facility acquisition for several charter schools.
- Acted as co-counsel for the financing and development of an abandoned historical building. Development costs were financed through a combination of historical tax credits and Empire State Development grants, with a total value of approximately $65 million.
- Provide ongoing consultation and advice to numerous health care clients with respect to anti self-referral and anti-kickback laws.
- Union College, B.A., cum laude, 1975
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1979
- New York State Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America: Corporate Law and Health Care Law, 2016-2018
- Damon Morey LLP, Partner