Ekin represents a broad array of clients in administrative proceedings before the New York State Public Service Commission and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. She focuses on complex legal issues in the energy industry, including siting, major utility rate cases, regulatory compliance and other regulatory proceedings. Ekin has assisted clients with obtaining permits for an innovative energy transmission line which will bring renewable energy to New York. She also represented a major telecommunications company completing land use approvals and permits in the states of New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. In addition, Ekin has counseled clients on eminent domain and zoning, and municipal and real property tax issues. Ekin has extensive experience with electric and gas utilities, pipeline companies, generators, marketers and she has worked on several energy production and transmission projects, environmental permitting matters, as well as commercial matters in the energy industry.
Ekin is a member of our Women's Forum. The Women's Forum meets once a month to address issues important to women lawyers with the primary goal of recruitment of a diverse group of talented women attorneys at the firm.
Ekin received both her law degree and M.A. in International Relations from Syracuse University. During law school, Ekin served as the Associate Notes Editor for the Syracuse Law Review. She also completed a Legal Externship at the City of Syracuse, Office of the Corporation Counsel. She was also a visiting student at Georgetown University Law Center during her last year at law school. Prior to attending law school, Ekin was an intern at the Istanbul Offices of Procter & Gamble in the Business Development and Marketing Department.
- Serving as counsel to Transmission Developers, Inc., in connection with the Champlain-Hudson Power Express project which is an innovative energy transmission line seeking Article VII siting approval from the New York State Public Service Commission for a 1,000 MW HVDC transmission line from New York’s border with Canada to New York City.
- Participated in the representation of a major utility in connection with its electric rate case before the New York State Public Service Commission, drafted testimony and assisted in-house counsel during the evidentiary hearings before the Administrative Law Judges.
- Managed legal permitting projects for an international telecommunications company in connection with construction of new telecommunication towers in the states of Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
- Assisted one of the largest competitive generators of wholesale electricity in the United States with their real property tax litigation in New York State.
- Drafted numerous petitions for asset transfer for an international utility company. Also drafted petition and provided strategic advice with respect to management audit matters and industrial customer contracts for the same utility.
- Providing monitoring and updates of the latest regulatory developments in the gas and electric industry in the states of New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island for an international utility company.
- Providing pro bono legal services through the Legal Project of Albany and representing domestic violence victims in family offense, custody and support matters in Family Court.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., cum laude, Syracuse Law Review, 2008
- Georgetown University Law Center, Visiting J.D., 2008
- Syracuse University Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, M.A., 2008
- Middle East Technical University, B.S., summa cum laude, 2003
- Georgetown University, International Institute for Political & Economic Studies, 2003
- New York, 2009
- District of Columbia, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Energy Bar Association
- Capital District Women’s Bar Association
- International Law Society
- "Ekin Senlet is Providing Top-Notch Legal Services in New York's Capital Region," Turk of America, October 7, 2014
- New York State Bar Association, Empire Counsel Honoree 2011
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Associate
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Summer Associate (2007)
- The Burton Blatt Institute, Research Assistant (2007-2008)
- The Office of the Corporation Counsel, City of Syracuse Department of Law, Legal Clerk (2006)
- Representation of the European Commission to Turkey, Intern (2003)
- Procter & Gamble, Istanbul, Turkey, Intern (2002)