Meghan's practice is focused on defending clients against toxic exposure, products liability and general negligence claims, from investigation and pre-trial discovery to depositions, motion practice, settlement, trial preparation, and appeals. Meghan has experience representing both individuals and businesses, including homeowners and commercial property owners, property managers and service providers, manufacturers, suppliers, and contractors.
Meghan handles cases in counties throughout New York State and is familiar with the nuances of local practice, most notably in asbestos litigation. She regularly counsels clients and insurance carriers on the intricacies of New York rules related to the apportionment of liability and damages.
Meghan is a member of the firm’s Diversity Leadership Team, which works to foster and maintain an inclusive, diverse workplace. As a member of the DLT, Meghan helps organize community involvement and outreach activities in Western New York. Meghan is also the Firm’s Buffalo Recruitment Liaison, overseeing the Firm’s Summer Associate program in the Buffalo office. While in law school, Meghan served as a Buffalo Law Review publications editor.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a property owner to dismiss a claim of toxic lead exposure based on lack of notice and successfully defended the subsequent appeal by the plaintiff to the New York State Appellate Division and Court of Appeals.
- Secured a voluntary dismissal of asbestos matter on behalf of an uninsured client on successor liability grounds based upon analysis of historical corporate documents, contracts and government filings. Meghan’s efforts allowed the client to avoid the costs of motion practice and further litigation in this case and set up a foundation to prevent and quickly defend against further litigation.
- Represented property owners in New York State Labor Law cases.
- Successfully negotiated with insurance carriers and their insureds to pay for the defense and indemnification of several clients based upon analysis of contracts, leases and insurance coverage issues, resulting in significant cost savings to the firm's clients.
- Obtained a voluntary dismissal on behalf of a local contractor in a high value asbestos matter based upon investigation and analysis of local government records and consultation with local authorities.
- Conducts depositions of plaintiffs, defendants, and non-party witnesses in general negligence, asbestos, and lead paint claims.
- Regularly negotiates settlements in premises liability, lead paint and general negligence cases.
- Manages post-settlement procedures for several large asbestos clients, including analysis and preparation of necessary release documents and potential Medicare/Medicaid liens and reporting requirements pursuant to the Medicare Secondary Payer Act, 42 U.S.C. § 1395y(b).
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a large asbestos client in multiple jurisdictions.
- Villanova University, B.A., 2005
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2008
- New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Women's Bar Association of the State of New York
- Erie County Bar Association
- YWCA of WNY, Former Board of Directors Member
- Selected to Super Lawyers Upstate New York Rising Star: Personal Injury - Products: Defense, 2017, 2018
- Damon Morey LLP, Associate
- Gibson, McAskill & Crosby LLP, Associate