David Cost is a litigator who counsels a broad array of clients including commercial clients across multiple industries as well as individuals on the local, state and national level. He has successfully represented clients in personal injury, property damage, civil rights, subrogation and commercial litigation lawsuits in both state and federal court, at the trial and appellate level.
David also specializes in mass tort litigation claims involving exposure to toxic chemicals, including representing corporate clients in asbestos cases around the country, as well as lead paint matters. He also has experience in matters involving complex business disputes, claims brought under New York State Labor Law, workers compensation group self-insurance trusts, media law, defending municipal entities, as well as insurance defense, which includes both jury trial and substantial motion practice.
Pro bono work also plays a significant role in David’s legal practice. In 2011, the Legal Project of Albany awarded him the prestigious Stanley J. Rosen Memorial Award for his pro bono service to victims of domestic violence. He also was lead trial counsel for a prisoner plaintiff in a Federal civil rights matter for denial of Constitutional Due Process Rights and Equal Protection Violations.
David has also been a presenter at multiple national conferences and serves on several firm and organizational committees. He began his career with the firm as a summer associate in 2005, he also served as a legal clerk to two energy and utility companies while attending law school.
- Representation of global manufacturers, suppliers, contractors, premise owners and municipalities in defense of mass tort claims for exposure to asbestos in cases across the United States. Assistant trial counsel in jury trial in 2008, apportioning 98% of verdict to other entities. Successful on numerous summary judgment motions obtaining dismissal of complaints.
- Counsel to international clients with regard to defense of claims brought by injured construction workers under the New York State Labor Law.
- Counsel to hundreds of former members of group self-insurance workers compensation trusts involving multi-million dollar claims brought by the New York State Workers Compensation Board seeking judgments for alleged self-insured liabilities and multi-party commercial litigation claims against former program administrator, accountants, actuaries, brokers, officers and trustees of trust.
- Counsel for multiple premise owners and businesses, from national grocery retailers to local businesses in matters involving premises, product liability and lead paint personal injury claims brought by Plaintiffs, resulting in defense verdict dismissing claims and several decisions on summary judgment.
- Representation of businesses prosecuting and defending complex breach of contract matters, including alleged breaches of fiduciary duty, fraud and claims for indemnification.
- Representation of high-level state official and business in major civil rights actions involving Constitutional due process issues and allegations of the denial of First Amendment rights and Equal Protection Rights.
- Representation of insurers in subrogation actions to recover insurance proceeds paid due to negligence of defendants and trial counsel for insurers in defense of first-party claims under insurance agreements.
- Representation of energy clients in defense of personal injury claims related to electrical grid operations and natural gas operations locally and abroad.
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Hamilton College, B.A., Honors in Philosophy, 2003
- New York, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- Defense Research Institute, Asbestos Medicine Committee (Young Attorney Liaison 2011; Vice-Liaison 2010)
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Federal Court Bar Association for the Northern District of New York
- Albany County Bar Association
- Legal Project of Albany Pro Bono Clinic Volunteer
- Speaker, "Depositions: Challenges of the Past When Litigating in the Present," DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, November 5, 2015
- Speaker, “Taking and Perfecting The Appeal”, Intro To Civil Practice Skills: Torts, Personal Injury and Insurance Law, New York State Bar Association, October 29, 2015
- Author, "NY Court Cuts Back On Runner Doctrine," Law360, August 20, 2014
- Co-author, "Crisis at Workers' Compensation Board Continues," Law360, May 14, 2014
- Speaker, "Apportioning Liability in Jurisdictions with Fault Allocation: Sorting Out Verdict Form and Other Complexities Given that Today's Cases Name Dozens of Parties as Liable for Exposure," American Conference Institute's 15th National Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims & Litigation, October 8, 2013
- Panel Moderator, "Young Lawyers 101," Defense Research Institute Asbestos Medicine Seminar, November 8, 2012
- Panel Speaker, “Handling a Prisoner Case CLE Program,” Northern District of New York Federal Court Bar Association, November 2010
- “Imputed Disqualification and Public Perception," New York Professional Responsibility Report, June 2007
- Super Lawyers Magazine, 2016, 2017 Rising Star for Civil Litigation
- Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award 2012
- 2011 Stanley J. Rosen Memorial Award for Pro Bono Service, The Legal Project of Albany
- New York State Bar Association, Empire Counsel Honoree 2008, 2011
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Counsel
- New York Independent System Operator, Inc., Legal Intern for General Counsel
- National Fuel, Inc., Law Clerk
- New York Appellate Court Recognizes Members’ Rights To Bring Direct Claims Against Parties Who Allegedly Caused Group Self-Insurance Trusts To Go Defunct
- New York Federal Court Restricts Application of Runner Doctrine: Labor Law 240(1) Inapplicable When Object Is Not on a Fall or Descent
- Reckless Disregard Standard Only Applies to the Specific Conduct Set Forth in that Statute