Corey focuses his practice on land use law and project development. He has leveraged his prior experience counseling municipal officials on administering the planning and zoning function of town government into a successful career guiding applicants through the zoning, planning, and land use entitlement process. His experience in New York is comprehensive, including work with major corporations, hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, religious institutions, and other nonprofit organizations, wireless telecommunication carriers, and related infrastructure companies and commercial, hotel,and residential developers. He continues to consult with municipalities as special counsel on a variety of legal matters.
From land use and zoning due diligence through final agency action, Corey’s multi-disciplinary approach incorporates advocacy, law, and politics, promoting a successful outcome through extensive industry knowledge and legal acumen. At the conclusion of the entitlement process, his experience makes him uniquely qualified to prosecute and defend land use matters before New York State courts, including appeals.
Corey has appeared before municipal land use, zoning, and environmental permitting agencies at every level of government, and assists clients with all aspects of the land use permitting and regulatory compliance process, including rezoning, zone text, and comprehensive plan amendments, special and temporary use permits, use and area variances, zoning interpretation appeals, wetland, stormwater, and highway work permits, endangered species, the New York State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA), and the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and related orders.
Corey has also handled land use, SEQRA, and municipal litigation at the Supreme Court, Appellate Division, and Court of Appeals.
He lectures widely on the planning and zoning function of municipal government and often presents training programs for local legislative and administrative board members.
A natural outgrowth of Corey’s land use practice involves the creation and management of condominium and homeowner associations, including the preparation and filing of offering plans and amendments with the New York State Attorney General’s Office.
- Represented residential housing developer in local, state, and federal approvals for 244 unit multi-family housing development, including variances and site plan approval, stormwater, and state and federal wetland permits.
- Served as local land use counsel to national retailer, expediting area variance and site plan approvals to meet aggressive delivery schedule.
- Performed comprehensive land use due diligence for international company in development of first manufacturing facility in United States.
- Obtained municipal entitlements for award-winning, three story, mixed use development in the heart of a historic district amidst public opposition.
- Represented national developer in acquisition and entitlements for $22 million senior housing development, including site selection, zoning feasibility, environmental due diligence, contract negotiations, acquisition, rezoning, area variances, and site plan approval.
- Led development team that obtained municipal approvals for $16 million residential treatment facility, including prosecution of successful court challenge in Supreme Court.
- Served as counsel to national tower infrastructure company and wireless telecommunication provider in zoning and permitting matters throughout New York State.
- Assisted residential developer with requirements of SEQRA by collaborating with environmental consultants in the preparation of environmental impact statement, including public hearing and review process on scoping DEIS and FEIS documents.
- Prosecuted application for comprehensive plan amendment to facilitate residential subdivision, including representation before legislative and administrative boards.
- Represented national student housing developer in land acquisition, special use permit, variances, and site plan approval for 192-unit student housing development, including State Flood Control Land Use Permit.
- Obtained reversal of determination of Code Enforcement Officer in zoning interpretation appeal and successfully defended same before Appellate Division, Fourth Department.
- Secured use variance for conversion of former grocery store to climate controlled self-storage facility, including extensive public outreach to build consensus with local community groups.
- Obtained entitlements for not-for-profit corporation to facilitate $69 million redevelopment of national historic landmark, including negotiating release of reversionary interest from New York State, rezoning, site plan approval, and certificates of appropriateness from Historic Preservation Board.
- Facilitated zone text amendment to exempt non-conforming condominium from local zoning law provision that prohibited reconstruction of non-conforming structures, in advance of FHA certification, including drafting proposed legislation.
- Prepared offering documents for New York State’s first green subdivision development.
- University of Florida, B.A.
- Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel, Summer 2005
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D.
- New York State Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
Community Associations Institute
- ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project Attorney of the Morning Program
- Westminster Early Childhood Program, President
- Westminster Early Childhood Program, Board of Advisors Member
- Genesee/Finger Lakes Regional Planning Council, Regional Local Government Workshop, “Zoning Variances,” May 2018
- Association of Towns of the State of New York Annual Meeting and Training School, “Site Plan Review,” February 2018
- New York Planning Federation Planning and Zoning Summer School “Interpretation Appeals,” July 2017
- Buffalo Business First Profile, "How I.. Help Developments Come to Fruition," January 2017
- Buffalo Niagara Builder's Association, "Real Estate Due Diligence: Environmental, Acquisition, and Land Use," December 2016
- Association of Towns of the State of New York Annual Meeting and Training School, "Site Plan Review: Process, Procedure, and Practical Application," February 2016
- New York Planning Federation Planning and Zoning Summer School. "Variances and Limitations," July 2015
- Association of Towns of the State of New York Annual Meeting and Training School, "The Substance & Procedure of Interpreting Zoning Provisions," February 2014
- American Law of Zoning, Update Editor, 2008
- Zoning and Planning Law Report, "Position Prediction Through Past Performance: A Quarter Century of United States Supreme Court Landowner Rights Jurisprudence," Summer 2007
- New York State Bar Association Empire State Counsel honoree, 2014, 2017
- Selected to Super Lawyers Upstate New York Rising Stars: Land Use/Zoning, 2013-2018
- Business First of Buffalo, 2013 Legal Elite of Western New York
- Damon Morey LLP, Senior Associate
- Association of Towns of the State of New York, Associate Counsel
- Albany Law School Government Law Center, Research Assistant