Carol Snider concentrates her practice in the areas of environmental exposure litigation, environmental coverage, product liability and general negligence. She also serves as Chair of the firm's Mass & Toxic Torts Practice Area.
Her experience in the area of environmental law began in 1981 when she became involved in over 600 actions involving Love Canal litigation. Carol possesses extensive experience in massive tort actions. Carol has successfully defended a state-wide municipal power entity in connection with multiple mass tort proceedings alleging various claims including property damage and personal injury. In various Federal and State Court cases, she represented individuals and businesses against allegations of personal injury and property damage arising out of claims of chemical contamination of property.
As counsel for numerous defendants, she has litigated thousands of claims for damages involving alleged asbestos exposure and has successfully tried such cases to conclusion. She has significant experience representing insurance carriers in environmental coverage disputes in actions in both New York State and New Jersey. In addition, Carol's day to day practice involves the defense of companies and individuals in the defense of lead paint matters.
A frequent presenter, Carol recently spoke at a national conference held in Philadelphia and Chicago regarding emerging issues in asbestos litigation and the defense of lung cancer claims. In addition she attended the Upstate New York Asbestos Summit, sponsored by the New York State Office of Court Administration where she had the opportunity to serve as co-moderator of a panel of three distinguished upstate jurists, Justice Richard T. Aulisi, Justice Daniel J. Doyle and Justice Charles C. Merrell, where the topics included voir dire, settlement conferences and evidentiary issues at trial. Carol serves as Defense Coordinating Counsel in the Seventh and Eighth Judicial District asbestos litigation and has been Defense Liaison Counsel in the Eight Judicial District for almost thirty years.
Her publications include articles on indoor air pollution for the New York State Facilities Journal, a New York State Bar Association publication on the admissibility of expert testimony, and an article concerning recent trends in asbestos litigation for a nationally distributed newsletter.
- Conducted audits on behalf of carriers of claims files maintained by local counsel relative to improving case management and reducing defense and indemnification costs.
- Defended municipal power authority in multiple mass and toxic tort cases arising from claims of property damage and personal injury.
- Represented international manufacturer and acted as regional trial counsel in the defense of hundreds of asbestos matters.
- Appointed as court designated Defense Coordinating Counsel for hundreds of asbestos cases pending in Western New York.
- Represented manufacturer in the defense of alleged hazardous waste disposal in dozens of claims of property damage and personal injury.
- Acted as coordinating East Coast coverage and defense counsel for a major insurance company, analyzing coverage issues in multi-jurisdictions and coordinated with local defense of toxic torts and property damage matters.
- Successfully tried to verdict multiple claims of personal injury arising out of claims of negligence and product liability.
- State University of New York at Brockport, B.S., summa cum laude, 1980
- SUNY Buffalo Law School, J.D., 1983
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Western Districts of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Presenter and Panelist at American Conference Institutes National Advanced Forum Claims & Litigation on Asbestos Claims & Litigation, June 2016
- Co-Chair, American Conference Institute’s 20th National Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims & Litigation, January 14-15, 2016
- Presenter and Panelist at American Conference Institutes National Advances Forum Claims & Litigation on Asbestos Claims & Litigation held in Philadelphia, 2012-2016
- Guest Lecturer, State University of New York at Buffalo's School of Law, Toxic Torts, John Lord O'Brian Hall, Winter 2013
- Presenter at New York State Office of Court Administration on the topics of asbestos practice in Upstate New York and the use of case management orders.
- Presenter and Panelist at a conference held in New York City for lawyers practicing in the area of Asbestos Litigation in New York State on the defense of asbestos matters and recent trends in litigation, 2009
- ALFA International’s National Retail Conference, Panelist, June 2006
- Products Liability Law Issues, State University of New York at Buffalo’s School of Law
- Defense of Risk Managers’ Depositions at the Risk and Insurance Manager’s Society’s annual meeting
- OSHA, State and Federal Regulations concerning indoor air pollution, New York State Gas Expo
- Local Coordinator and Faculty Member on Products Liability and Faculty Member on Discovery, New York State Bar Association
- Presenter on Issues in Asbestos Litigation and on the Defense of Lead Poisoning Cases, American Society of Safety Engineers
- Business First of Buffalo, 2016, 2017 Legal Elite Leaders of Western New York
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2018 for Mass Torts Litigation: Defendants
- Selected by Peer Review for Inclusion in Super Lawyer Directory, 2014-2017 for Environmental Litigation
- Super Lawyers Magazine, Top 25 Women Lawyers Upstate New York
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV” Peer Review Rated for Very High to Preeminent Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Damon Morey LLP, Partner