Brittany Lawrence is a litigator who handles a wide array of civil and criminal matters. As a commercial litigator, Brittany represents clients ranging from small businesses to major corporations in state and federal court and in arbitrations. In criminal matters, Brittany represents both individuals and entities facing federal and New York State criminal prosecutions. Brittany also assists businesses and other organizations in conducting internal investigations and responding to criminal subpoenas.
Brittany is a member of the firm’s higher education team and regularly counsels higher education clients on compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association bylaws. Brittany also represents colleges and universities in criminal proceedings and responding to government investigations. In that regard, Brittany represents higher education clients in every aspect of a criminal matter, assisting colleges and universities with communicating and/or cooperating with law enforcement. Brittany also conducts internal investigations to detect and prevent future issues, allowing her to advise higher education clients on the implementation of effective compliance programs. Brittany is a member of the National Association of College and University Attorneys.
Brittany is a graduate of Syracuse University College of Law, where she was a member of the Syracuse Law Review. Brittany previously served as a student law clerk for the US Attorney's Office for the Northern District of New York and Senior US District Judge Scullin.
Brittany is a member of the firm’s Women’s Forum, which helps create opportunities for personal and professional growth among business women throughout the community.
- Represented a local university in connection with Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) compliance and information requests.
- Represented universities in connection with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) compliance matters.
- Represented an individual in criminal prosecution involving alleged Medicare and Medicaid fraud.
- Represented a manufacturing client in connection with the voluntary disclosure of a potential violation of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
- Represented a private New York university in connection with a criminal investigation involving a former assistant coach.
- Represented a government contractor in the voluntary disclosure of a potential violation of the International Traffic and Arms Regulations.
- Represented an individual in criminal prosecution involving alleged violations of the Clean Air Act.
- Represented a government contractor in a criminal investigation led by the US Department of Homeland Security.
- Represented a development company in a real estate contract dispute.
- Represented a renewable energy company in a contract dispute before the American Arbitration Association.
- Provided pro bono trial counsel to an inmate-plaintiff in a federal civil rights matter.
- Provided pro bono trial counsel to a single mother and family who were unlawfully evicted from their home and suffered the loss of personal property.
- Provided pro bono trial counsel to a mother seeking sole custody of her three children.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., Syracuse Law Review, editorial staff
- University of California at Berkeley, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Menorah Park Senior Living Facility, Volunteer
- Super Lawyers Rising Star: Commercial Litigation, 2015-2017
- New York State Bar Association Empire State Counsel Honoree, 2013
- US District Court for the Northern District of New York Pro Bono Service Honor Roll, 2012-2014
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Associate
- US Attorney’s Office, Northern District of New York, Law Clerk
- Peter Grenis, Esq., Law Clerk
- Hon. Frederick J. Scullin Jr., Senior US District Judge, Northern District of New York, Law Clerk