Brenda Colella is a Partner in the firm's Project Development and Energy Practice Areas and concentrates her practice on representing clients in project development, particularly with respect to industrial, commercial, energy and infrastructure projects, including transmission and pipeline projects.
Brenda represents clients, both large and small, in all aspects of project development, including site acquisition, right-to-build and environmental issues, preparing and negotiating construction contracts and other transactional documents, and in securing financing and funding for a project, including tax mitigation and development incentives.
In the energy field, Brenda represents developers of transmission and generation projects in major siting and rate proceedings before public utility commissions and in other administrative proceedings involving such agencies as FERC and DOE, New York State Public Service Commission and other state utility commissions and municipalities. She also represents energy-related developers in the preparation and negotiation of interconnection and power purchase agreements and with respect to various regulatory issues, including compliance with pipeline safety laws and regulations.
Prior to joining the firm, Brenda handled and supervised a wide range of transactional and regulatory matters, including those involving the purchase, sale and lease of commercial property; the merger and acquisitions of businesses; project construction and development; and energy projects, including minor and major transmission lines (electric and gas) and renewable energy developments. She has been closely involved in the preparation and negotiation of ground, office and shopping center leases, asset/stock purchase agreements, professional service, construction management and owner-contractor agreements, and power purchase, transmission service and interconnection agreements, among others.
In addition to her project development and energy practice, Brenda has a significant background handling business litigation, environmental review and permitting, zoning, land use and municipal law matters. She is able to counsel businesses on their needs with respect to regulatory compliance, including audits, and certification processes, such as those related to women-owned, minority-owned, tribal-owned and other disadvantaged business enterprises, and helping clients identify the issues that can lead to disputes and lawsuits.
- Represented transmission developer in Article VII proceeding and alternating current transmission upgrade comparative proceeding before the New York State Public Service Commission with respect to approval of alternating current transmission line project.
- Represented developer with respect to petroleum pipeline project involving environmental review, various federal and state permits and review of local laws for consistency.
- Represented transmission developer with respect to potential application for Article VII certificate before New York State Public Service Commission for proposed buried HVDC transmission line.
- Represented power generation owner in proceeding before the New York State Public Service Commission with respect to approval of an increase in the power rating for a generating facility in New York State.
- Represented transmission developer in generation retirement contingency plan proceeding before the New York State Public Service Commission with respect to major, buried HVDC transmission line.
- Represented natural gas energy company in obtaining approvals needed from New York State Public Service Commission for transfer of a natural gas pipeline to new entity, lightened regulation and the transfer of, and amendment to, an Article VII certificate for the natural gas pipeline.
- Represented coalition of towns and municipalities in New York in all aspects of Article VII proceeding before the New York State Public Service Commission with respect to major HVDC transmission line.
- Represented New York agency in the generic and specific environmental impact review and permitting under NYS SEQRA of numerous public emergency radio cellular sites across the State of New York.
- Represented purchaser/lessee in negotiation and closing of real estate transaction involving purchase, lease and option to purchase property with a total transaction value of approximately $9 million.
- Represented seller in negotiation and closing of sale of steel business in asset purchase transaction with a value of approximately $6 million.
- Represented seller in negotiation and closing of sale of sawmill business and related real estate in asset purchase transaction with value of approximately $ 5.75 million.
- Represented solar energy company in preparation and negotiation of interconnection agreement and power purchase agreement with major utility in Nevada.
- Represented solar energy company in closing of transaction involving renewable energy tax credits.
- Represented sovereign Indian Nation located in the State of New York in the planning, programming, design and construction of approximately $160 million dollars in infrastructure projects, including water and wastewater projects and major community and government/administrative buildings on tribal lands, involving the preparation and negotiation of numerous professional service agreements, construction management agreements, owner-contractor agreements, design-build agreements, bidding documents and authorizing resolutions.
- University of Dayton School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1999
- Berry College, B.A., magna cum laude
- New York, 2006
- District of Columbia, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- New York State Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Central New York Women's Bar Association
- CenterState CEO
- Women TIES
- WISE, Women's Business Center
- Strathmore Huntley Group, LLC
- Greater Strathmore Neighborhood Association
- Author, Energy Blog
- "Ask the Attorney Series," WISE Women's Business Center, May-August 2014
- "Important Legal Issues for Commercial Leases," CNY Building Owners & Managers Association (BOMA) Meeting, May 2013
- Panelist, Syracuse Student Sandbox: Presentation on Start-Ups, The Tech Garden, June 2012
- "The Workers' Compensation Group Self Insurance Trusts Crisis," United New York Ambulance Network (UNYAN) Educational Conference, June 2012
- "Why Development Projects Are Utilizing Sustainable Building Practices," New York Real Estate Journal, May 22, 2007
- Panelist, Role of Property Rights in Preventing Coastal Erosion, University of Maryland School of Law's 2001 Ward, Kershaw and Minton Environmental Symposium on Rising Tides, Eroding Shores: The Legal and Policy Implications of Sea Level Rise and Coastal Erosion, April 2001
- "Civility Codes: The Newest Weapons in the 'Civil' War Over Proper Attorney Conduct Regulation Miss Their Mark," 24 U. Dayton L. Rev. 151, 1998
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Gilberti Stinziano Heintz & Smith, PC
- Marzulla Law