Angela Orlandella has 20 years experience in obtaining and managing economic development incentives, working on project development and financing, and assisting with commercial real estate transactions.
Angela consults with clients ranging from individuals to major international corporations in obtaining federal and state economic incentives. This all-encompassing work includes initial meetings with agencies, preparation of funding request applications and project proformas, negotiation of commitments, and completion of all documents necessary to receive incentives and comply with program requirements. Angela has extensive experience working with the New York State Empire Zones Program, the New York State Excelsior Program, the Brownfield Tax Credit Program, Empire State Development grants available through the Consolidated Funding Application, incentives available through Industrial Development Agencies, and many other development incentives and funding opportunities. As many programs require annual filings or are received as a part of tax filings, Angela actively prepares credit claim forms, handles desk audits and field audits for clients, and assists the Project Development team in negotiated settlements and litigation with the New York State Department of Taxation & Finance.
Angela’s project development work also includes oversight of right-to-build issues; preparing and evaluating requests-for-proposals to general contractors, construction managers and design firms; obtaining project financing; and overseeing the layers of complicated transactions that incorporate multiple funding sources, economic incentives, and the involvement of one or more municipal agencies. Her consulting practice focuses on addressing complex problems and finding creative solutions for each client’s needs.
- Represented numerous companies undergoing desk audit reviews of Empire Zone Tax Credits and other tax credits to realize the best possible audit result.
- Represented numerous companies in preparing Empire Zone credit claim forms and worked with accountants to incorporate these credits into filed returns to maximize incentives available under the program.
- Represented numerous companies in litigation with the New York State Department of Taxation & Finance to protest notices of deficiency arising out of denial of Empire Zones program credits. Have worked to negotiate settlements and or assist in hearings before the Division of Tax Appeals with favorable outcomes.
- Represented a power plant developer in an audit of Brownfield Tax Credits. Resulted in payment of multi-million credit as claimed by taxpayer.
- Represented multiple companies in sales tax audits before the Department of Taxation and Finance.
- Prepared Consolidated Funding Applications for numerous clients requesting economic incentives, including grants through Empire State Development and Excelsior Tax Credits.
- Represented numerous companies in handling compliance issues stemming from economic incentives, including grants, tax credits, and benefits available through Industrial Development Agencies.
- Represented numerous companies in preparing applications before Industrial Development Agencies and working with the agencies to maximize benefits, including sales tax exemptions, mortgage tax relief, bond financing, and Payment in Lieu of Tax Agreements.
- Syracuse University, School of Architecture, M. Arch., 1989
- University of Maryland, School of Business, B.S., 1984
- "Tax Litigation," New York State Society of CPAs, December 6, 2016
- "Financial Incentives to Make It Easier to Do Business in New York," MACNY Finance Council, May 11, 2016
- "CFA Process and Incentives," Syracuse Annual Tax Conference and Accounting & Auditing Update, November 17, 2015
- "Available NYS Incentives With a Focus on START-UP NY Program," NYSSCPA Syracuse Chapter Annual Tax Conference, November 18, 2014
- "The START-UP NY Program, The Application Processes for Sponsors and Participating Businesses," Webinar, November 2013
- "Economic Incentives and Tax Controversy Issues," Annual Tax Conference for the Syracuse Chapter of the New York State Society of CPAs, November 2013
- "Impacts of Historic Boardwalk Hall vs. US, Sham Transactions in General and Current Audit Directions of NYS Department of Taxation and Finance," Annual Tax Conference for the Syracuse Chapter of the New York State Society of CPAs, November 2012
- "The Empire Zone: Are Economic Development Incentives Alive in New York State?," New York State Bar Association, Hot Topics in Real Property Law and Practice, November 2010
- “Challenges of Realizing the Benefits Under the Empire Zones Program,” Annual Tax Conference, New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants, Syracuse Chapter, 2008
- “Empire Zones Program – Where it Is After 2005 Legislative Changes,” March 2006
- “Regionally Significant Projects,” March 2006
- “IDA Transaction With a Brownfield and/or Empire Zone Overlay & Related Grants,” March 2006
- Green & Seifter, Attorneys, PLLC, Special Projects
- McDonald Partners, Project Development
- Edgewater Partners, Construction Management