False Claims Act and Qui Tam Seminar
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
James M. Hanley Federal Building
100 South Clinton Street
Syracuse, N.Y. 13202
Hiscock & Barclay Partner, Gabriel M. Nugent Co-Chairs this False Claims Act Seminar sponsored by the Northern District of New York Federal Court Bar Association.
The NDNY-FCBA CLE Committee will present the program: "False Claims Act and Qui Tam Seminar", a two part seminar on Wednesday, April 22, 2015, in Syracuse.
The civil False Claims Act is one of the fastest growing areas of federal litigation, particularly because of its unique qui tam provisions, which allow private citizens to file suit alleging fraud on behalf of the government. If the government prevails in the action, the whistleblower (known as a "relator") receives up to 30 percent of the recovery. The U.S. Department of Justice obtained a record $5.69 billion in settlements and judgments from civil cases involving fraud and false claims against the government last fiscal year alone, with whistleblowers receiving $435 million.
- Sara Payne Profiled as Cannabis Team Leader by College of Environmental Science and Forestry
- Barclay Damon Named to 2019 US News & World Report – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” List
- Barclay Damon Honored by Big Brothers Big Sisters of Erie, Niagara, and the Southern Tier
- Associate Steven Mach and Law Clerk Kaleigh Morrison Join Barclay Damon
- No Prejudgment Interest if Plaintiff Cannot Show When Damages Were Incurred
- NYS Appellate Division Holds That SEC Disgorgement of Over $140 Million is an Uninsurable Penalty Under Professional Liability Policy
- Notable Talc Case May Increase Similar Claims
- State and Federal Agencies Ramp Up Efforts to Combat Sex-Based Discrimination and Harassment