Tom offers over three decades of experience as a judge advocate, environmental regulator, and attorney in private practice. He provides clients with a comprehensive perspective on environmental and land use matters and related litigation.
Tom focuses on environmental regulatory compliance, permitting, and enforcement as well as administrative legal practice before various state agencies. He has substantial experience litigating Article 78 challenges of determinations by public bodies and environmental and land use disputes. He guides developers and municipalities through the SEQRA process with related right to build issues and represents private entities in CERCLA and Navigation Law (oil spill) litigation.
- Represents railroads in environmental enforcement, litigation, and permitting issues.
- Successfully appealed the assessment of numerous hazardous waste program fees by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation with full refunds.
- Represents petroleum distribution companies in bulk storage and spill issues.
- Represents parties for State Liquor Authority licensing and enforcement issues.
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D.
- State University of New York at Cortland, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- NDNY Federal Court Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Onondaga Cycling Club, Board of Directors Member
- Camillus Youth Hockey Association, Former Board Member and Coach
- The Best Lawyers in America ®, Syracuse Lawyer of the Year in in Litigation/Environmental, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America ®, Environmental Law; Litigation - Environmental, 2009-2019
- Selected to Super Lawyers Upstate New York: Environmental, 2013-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV” Peer Review Rated for Very High to Preeminent Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Menter, Rudin & Trivelpiece, P.C., Shareholder
- NYS Department of Environmental Conservation Region 7, Regional Attorney
- NYS Department of Environmental Conservation Region 6, Assistant Regional Attorney
- US Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps (JAG), Judge Advocate