Steve focuses his practice on real estate law and transactions. Steve has more than 25 years of experience representing industrial and commercial property owners, developers, investors, retailers, not-for-profit organizations, service businesses and technology companies in a wide variety of matters, including acquisition and sale transactions, development projects, leasing, zoning and land use approvals, corporate asset transactions and financing transactions. Steve has counseled clients in the acquisition, sale and leasing of large industrial/manufacturing/warehouse facilities. In connection with these and similar transactions, Steve’s representation of his clients routinely includes the drafting and negotiation of utility and services agreements, counseling relative to economic development and incentive programs, and the resolution of environmental issues.
Steve has extensive experience representing landlords and tenants in commercial leasing negotiations for retail, office, manufacturing and shopping center lease transactions, including ground lease transactions. His broad range of experience includes representation of clients in golf course and marina projects, as well as land acquisition and development projects for energy and technology companies. Steve led and managed a team of lawyers and paraprofessionals representing a national telecommunication company in connection with the first phase of a network build-out, including site lease negotiations, title review and zoning approvals, and resulting in obtaining approvals for approximately 100 sites in Western New York.
Steve is a member of the firm’s Associates Committee.
- Represented real estate investor in the acquisition of marina facility.
- Represented real estate investors in the acquisition of apartment complexes and portfolios.
- Represented real estate developers in the sales of office complex portfolios.
- Represented a major manufacturer in the sale of an office building and research laboratory facility to a healthcare company as part of $2,100,000,000 sale of company’s health imaging business.
- Represented developer in the acquisition of land for a golf course project in Western NY.
- Represented franchisees in leasing, land acquisition and financing for a national retail restaurant chain.
- Represented a global energy company in its land acquisition for an ethanol plant.
- Represented telecommunications company in all aspects of first phase build-out of cell tower sites in Western NY, including zoning approvals, leasing and title matters.
- Represented real estate developer in the purchase of Rochester Tech Park in Western NY with over 5 million square feet of light industrial, manufacturing and warehouse space; transaction included PSC approval, Empire Zone certification and environmental remediation issues.
- Acquisition of undeveloped land in Canal Ponds Business Park in the Towns of Greece and Gates, NY and construction financing for a wholesale club facility.
- Represented a major manufacturer in the sale of its 5,100,000 square foot light industrial, manufacturing and warehouse facility. At the time, the single largest real estate transaction (by sale price) in Monroe County history.
- Represented a major manufacturer in various real estate transactions from 2004 to 2011 involving the sale of parcels and buildings in the company’s industrial park, including drafting and negotiation of utility service agreements.
- Retail leases for franchisee of Corner Bakery Café and Sonic.
- Washington & Lee University School of Law, J.D., 1983
- Colgate University, A.B., cum laude, 1979
- New York, 1984
- New York State Bar Association, Real Property Law Section
- Monroe County Bar Association, Real Estate Section (former Chair 1998-99)
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- New York State Commercial Association of Realtors
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties
- Monroe County Bar Association, Campaign for Justice, Cabinet Member
- Spiritus Christi Church, Cantor, Visioning Board Member
- “Hot Topics in Real Estate Law,” New York State Bar Association, 2008 and 2010
- Martindale-Hubbell DistinguishedSM Peer Review Rated for High to Very High Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Selected by Peer Review for Inclusion in Super Lawyer Directory 2010 for Real Estate
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Chamberlain D’Amanda Oppenheimer & Greenfield, LLP, Associate (1989-2006) Partner (1994-2006)
- Nixon, Hargrave, Devans & Doyle, Associate (1983-1989)