Paul Kietzman is a recognized health care attorney with decades of experience counseling clients in both the private and public sectors. Paul has authored several pieces of legislation, including amendments to SCPA Article 17-A and a bill permitting the use of a simplified health care proxy with “act now” optional authority in the OPWDD service system. Paul was the first general counsel to the New York State Office for People With Developmental Disabilities. He wrote portions of the mental hygiene law, including Article 16, and the implementing legislation for Governor Pataki’s New York State Cares initiative, the executive and legislative promise of supports and services to all developmentally disabled New Yorkers at their time of need. He served three governors and five OMRDD commissioners in that position.
Paul served as general counsel and senior counsel to NYSARC, Inc., the largest private provider of services to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities in New York, and the original plaintiff in the Willowbrook litigation, the catalyst for NYS to reform its service system for people with developmental disabilities.
In the public service sector, Paul served as deputy counsel for Medicaid cost containment litigation for the NYS Department of Social Services. In addition to federal and state litigation, he was responsible for the state's Medicaid state plan. Paul also assisted and supported ALS' first Disabilities Law Day and remains active in various volunteer roles with ALS.
Paul is a frequent presenter and panelist for the New York State Bar Association, voluntary providers, Albany Law School-sponsored and other training and educational programs and events. He has presented on various OPWDD and general health care-related topics, including the Family Health Care Decisions Act, the Health Care Decisions Act for Persons with Mental Retardation, use of the MOLST Form within the OPWDD service system, the Willowbrook Consent Decree and the history and role of nonprofit providers in the OPWDD system of care.
- Albany Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1972
- Syracuse University, 1967
- Albany Law School Government Law Center, Board of Advisors Member
- New York State Bar Journal, Board of Editors Member
- Town of Poestenkill, Board of Ethics Chair
- Heather Ridge Neighborhood Improvement Association, Inc., President
- Albany Knickerbocker Rugby Football Club, Founder and President
- NYSARC, Inc., General Counsel and Senior Counsel
- NYS Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities, General Counsel
- NYS Department of Social Services, Medicaid Cost Containment Litigation, Deputy Counsel
- Rosenblum, Leventhal & Kietzman, Associate and Partner