Melle Xu focuses her practice in business immigration. She assists clients ranging from intra-company transfers (L-1), treaty trader and investors (E-1/E-2), to specialty occupation workers (H-1B) and NAFTA professionals (TN). She also prepares immigrant petitions including employment-based preference petitions for multinational managers and executives as well as program electronic review management (PERM) labor certification cases.
Melle is a graduate of the University of Toronto where she studied Economics, French and International Relations. She received her law degree from SUNY Buffalo Law School where she served as President of the Asian-Pacific American Law Student Association. In addition to her legal skills, Melle is fluent in Mandarin and proficient in French and Cantonese.
Melle is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and she is admitted to practice in the State of New York.
- Successfully obtained E-1, E-2, L-1A, L-1B and TN status for Canadian nationals
- Represented business owners in connection with green card application and adjustment of status
- Prepared H-1B petitions for foreign national professionals to work in the U.S.
- Real Property Tax & Condemnation:
- Represented property owners and tenants in successfully reducing tax assessments of various commercial properties including shopping plazas, bank branches and apartment buildings
- Represented property owners in connection with Eminent Domain claims for just compensation
- Represented utility condemnor in acquisition of permanent easement interests by Eminent Domain in connection with expansion of electric distribution infrastructure
- Torts & Product Liability Defense:
- Successfully defended Labor Law 240 case and won motion for summary judgment based on homeowner’s exemption
- Represented owners of domestic animals and won motions for summary judgment based on lack of notice requirement
- University of Toronto, B.A., 2010
- SUNY Buffalo Law School, J.D., 2013
- New York, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), Member
- Canadian/Ontario Bar Association, Member
- Minority Bar Association of Western New York, Past Director, 2014
- “Trading or Investing in the U.S.”, Greenhouse Canada National Magazine, Business Issue, May 2016 Publication.
- “Temporary Non-Immigrant Business Strategies including the E, L and TN Status," Business Immigration Seminar, Canada, June 2015.
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Associate
- Clyde & Co., Summer Associate
- 8th Judicial District Clerkship Program, Judicial Intern
- New STEM OPT Regulation To Take Effect in May 2016 Extending Training Period and Increasing Oversight
- New Law Allows Revocation of U.S. Passports as Leverage to Collect Taxes
- Court of Appeals Finds Owners of Domestic Animals Not Liable Under Ordinary Negligence Principles
- Fourth Department Eliminates Annual Tax Challenge Filings in Context of RPTL 727