Melle Fabian focuses her practice in business immigration. She assists clients with nonimmigrant applications ranging from intra-company transfers of managers, executives, and specialized knowledge employees (L-1A/L-1B); treaty traders and investors (E-1/E-2); and professional athletes (P-1) to specialty occupation workers (H-1B) and NAFTA professionals (TN). She also regularly prepares immigrant petitions, including employment-based preference petitions (I-140) for multinational managers, executives, and skilled workers, as well as family-based green card applications and adjustments of status.
Melle is University of Toronto graduate who studied economics, French, and international relations. She received her JD from the University at Buffalo School of Law, where she served as the Asian-Pacific American Law Student Association president. In addition to her legal skills, Melle is fluent in Mandarin and proficient in French and Cantonese.
Melle has been a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) since 2015 and is admitted to practice in New York State.
- Obtained E-1, E-2, L-1A, L-1B, and TN approvals on behalf of Canadian nationals.
- Represented business owners, investors, employees, and their family members in connection with green card applications and adjustments of status.
- Prepared successful H-1B and H-4 petitions for foreign national professionals and dependents to work in the U.S.
- Real Property Tax & Condemnation:
- Represented property owners and tenants in successfully reducing tax assessments of various commercial properties including shopping plazas, bank branches, and apartment buildings.
- Represented property owners in connection with eminent domain claims for just compensation.
- Represented a utility condemnor in the acquisition of permanent easement interests by eminent domain in connection with the expansion of electric distribution infrastructure.
- Torts & Product Liability Defense:
- Successfully defended a Labor Law 240 case and won motion for summary judgment based on homeowner’s exemption.
- Represented owners of domestic animals and won motions for summary judgment based on lack of notice requirement.
- University of Toronto, B.A., 2010
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D., 2013
- New York, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), Member
- Canadian/Ontario Bar Association, Member
- Minority Bar Association of Western New York, Former Director, 2014
- Quoted, “Buffalo-Area Immigration Lawyers See Range of Issues Stemming From Washington,” Buffalo Business First, May 19, 2018
- “Immigration Law 101 and Current Trends Impacting the Practice,” WNYPA Conference, November 2017
- “Trading or Investing in the U.S.”, Greenhouse Canada National Magazine, Business Issue, May 2016
- “Temporary Non-Immigrant Business Strategies including the E, L, and TN Status," Business Immigration Seminar, Canada, June 2015
- New York State Empire State Counsel Honoree for exemplary pro bono service, 2018
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Associate
- Clyde & Co., Summer Associate
- 8th Judicial District Clerkship Program, Judicial Intern