Maureen Helmer concentrates her practice on energy and telecommunications law as well as corporate and professional ethics and the New York State Legislature.
Maureen has had an expansive career touching on a broad range of issues related to New York energy and telecommunications law. She led the New York State Public Service Commission (PSC) during a time of sweeping change in the telecommunications and energy industries. A key goal during her tenure was the development of rational market rules that would nurture innovation and reduce barriers to competition while maintaining reliable service. It was with this goal in mind that she took on a leadership role in increasing coordination between New York and its neighboring U.S. and Canadian ISOs and RTOs. During this initiative, she was a vocal advocate for resolving “seams” issues and enhancing regional reliability.
In addition to her work during the restructuring of the energy and telecommunications markets, Maureen's involvement in critical infrastructure issues in the wake of 9/11 has led to an ongoing involvement in security and cybersecurity issues on a national basis. She was recently added to the Board of the Center for Internet Security, a not-for-profit organization focused on enhancing the cyber security readiness and response of public and private sector entities.
Since leaving government, Maureen has applied her broad government experience to assist clients of all sizes as they invest and grow in the country’s energy and telecommunications markets. She provides strategic advice regarding relevant regulatory and legislative environments and gives clients the assistance needed to impact policies that foster investment and obtain the necessary regulatory approvals. As a demonstration of her leadership capacity, Maureen serves as Chair of the firm’s Regulatory Practice Area.
In furtherance of Maureen’s commitment to diversity, she is an active participant in the firm’s Women’s Forum, as well as a founding member, past president and current board member of New York Women in Communications and Energy.
- Obtained state regulatory approvals for upstream changes in ownership/corporate structure for large, international energy clients.
- Represented large communications/cable trade association before numerous governmental entities in New York, including the Public Service Commission, the Executive, Office for Technology, the Legislature.
- Advised large investors and shareholders in matters pending before the New York Public Service Commission.
- Advised major generators in New York regarding the regulatory/political climate in New York and updates regarding trends at the New York Independent System Operator and the Public Service Commission.
- Advised numerous small gas and energy service providers (ESCOs and gas retail competitors) regarding Public Service Commission regulations and requirements and provision of service in New York.
- Advised individual cable companies regarding New York Public Service Commission cases and assisted with filings and responses in cases.
- Assisted in drafting and strategy advice with respect to major management audit of large New York electric utility.
- Developed application for the siting of a multi-billion dollar transmission project; worked on issues related thereto with the New York State Independent System Operator, the New York State Public Service Commission, the New York Department of Environmental Conservation, the Army Corps of Engineers and the Department of State, as well as numerous other local governments and NGOs.
- Advised major generator regarding trends in state perspectives regarding existing generation and opportunities for future development; assisted with regulatory issues regarding plant.
- Advised/represented client before New York Public Service Commission and New York Independent Service Operator regarding the provision of certain wholesale electric services.
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D., 1982
- State University of New York at Albany, B.S., 1979
- New York, 1983
- New York State Women in Communications, Founding Board Member, Past President
- New York State Bar Association
- Energy Bar Association, former Chair of the State Commission Practice and Regulation Committee
- Plug Power Inc., Board of Directors, Member of Corporate Governance and Nominating Committee and Audit Committee
- Center for Internet Security, Board Member
- Global Energy Summit, November 2007
- Former State Utilities Commissioners’ Letter to U.S. Electricity Policymakers, November 2007
- “Delivering Green – Getting Green Power to the Markets,” ACE NY Fall Conference, Panel Moderator, October 2007
- “Paving the Way: New York Policies Shaping Competitive Markets,” Independent Power Providers of New York 22nd Annual Membership Meeting & Fall Conference, Panel Moderator, September 2007
- “Managing Change,” Energy Bar Association, Panel Moderator, September 2007
- “Balancing the Commission’s Need for Information with the Goals of Open Government,” New York State Bar Association Committee on Public Utility Law, Panel Moderator, July 2007
- “New York’s Policy on Renewable Energy,” New York State Bar Association, Presenter, October 2006
- Recognized by Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2016 Edition New York for Energy: State Regulatory & Wholesale Electric Market for the fourth consecutive year
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Green Seifter, Attorneys PLLC, Member
- Couch White, Partner
- New York State Public Service Commission, Chair 1998-2003, Commissioner 1997-1998, General Counsel 1995-1997
- New York State Board on Electric Generation Siting and the Environment, Chair
- New York State Energy Research and Development Authority
- New York State Environmental Board
- New York State Disaster Preparedness Commission
- Electricity Committee of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners, Vice Chair
- National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC), Board of Directors
- U.S. Department of Energy’s Electricity Advisory Board
- New York State Cyber-Security Task Force
- Counsel, New York Senate Energy Committee
- Deputy Director, New York Assembly Office of Minority Counsel
- Assistant Counsel, New York Temporary Commission of Investigation