Mary offers over 25 years of legal support and deep knowledge in matters related to energy, mining, project development, regulatory and environmental law. Mary coordinates and assists in managing a wide array of projects and engagements related to, permitting, regulatory matters, and contested matters including project applications, discovery management and review; factual development; matter intake and technical analysis; dispositive motions; agency-level hearings, trials, and settlements; and obtaining agency approvals and permits. She is routinely involved with complex commercial and environmental litigation in state and federal courts, including appeals; Article 78 actions; and permitting and regulatory matters involving SEQRA compliance, CERCLA, Navigation Law, environmental permits, development, land use, zoning approvals, and other regulatory approvals before federal, state, and local agencies.
Mary has significant experience with air permitting and environmental regulatory compliance for clients such as hot-mix asphalt and construction-aggregate processing facilities. She also assists in the development of environmental assessments and impact statements for a range of complex projects, including construction aggregate-mining operations and petroleum pipelines.
Mary additionally assists with applications for certifications under New York State and local diversity certification programs. She also acts as liaison between clients, consultants, the courts, and others for investigative and preparation purposes. Mary is proficient in numerous legal-industry software programs and practice-specific programs, including Concordance and Relativity, and is experienced in filing through e-court systems.
- Successfully obtained highly competitive state Municipal Restructuring Fund (MRF) grants for clients.
- Assisted the legal team representing a NYS medical-marijuana entity in successfully registering it as a registered organization under the Compassionate Care Act. An entirely Women-Owned Business Enterprise, the company was one of five out of 43 applicants to be approved for registration.
- Acted as lead document manager in numerous pieces of high-profile litigation in both federal and state courts, including CERCLA matters and actions challenging state and local agency determinations. Provided litigation support to lead counsel representing a group of self-insured employers against the NYS Workers’ Compensation Board. The litigation team successfully obtained a stay of enforcement and, ultimately, a beneficial settlement for the client group.
- Assisted the legal team representing a major interstate oil-pipeline company in the development of an interstate oil pipeline between New York and New Jersey, analyzing issues related to NY environmental regulatory regimes and the State Environmental Quality Review Act.
- Regularly provides support concerning underlying scientific findings and related regulatory requirements to lawyers in negotiations with the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation on behalf of clients in enforcement proceedings.
- Syracuse University, B.A.
- University College, A.B.
- Barclay Damon’s Women’s Forum
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Gilberti Stinziano Heintz & Smith, P.C., Case Manager
- Law Offices of Kevin J. Brown, Case Manager
- Devorsetz Stinziano Heintz & Smith, P.C., Case Manager
- Syracuse Research Corporation, Analytical Chemist