Jack is a seasoned corporate and intellectual property attorney who has been providing legal counsel for almost 40 years. He uses his legal background to provide emerging technology clients with the business acumen to navigate complex contracts and patents. Jack began his legal career at Oneida Ltd., where he worked for almost 20 years, eventually serving as the vice president general counsel. He entered the healthcare industry in 1992 as the vice president and general counsel at Welch Allyn, Skaneateles, NY. In addition to his counsel to firm clients, Jack is also the senior vice president of legal and government affairs at Blue Highway.
Throughout his career, Jack has used his legal knowledge to enhance both his community and his country. In 1993, after 20 years of service in the army, Jack retired as a Lieutenant Colonel. He served in the infantry, engineers and ordnance branches, and completed his last assignment under the Office of the Chief of Public Affairs. Jack has since been an instructor in the Legal Assistant Program at Syracuse University, a faculty supervisor at the New York State Science and Technology Law Center and an adjunct professor at the Syracuse University College of Law.
Jack is an active member of several professional organizations, including the American Bar Association, New York State Bar Association, and the Association of Corporate Counsel (past president of Central and Western New York chapter). Jack has also served as the company representative to the Business Council of New York. His past activities include serving on the Hospice of the Finger Lakes Board of Directors and the Everson Museum of Art Board of Trustees. Jack was President of the Everson Museum of Art from 2007-2009.
- Public company experience including SEC filings, shareholder meetings and take-over defense strategies. Also repelled a take-over attempt with a ploy that became known as the Polaroid defense.
- Managed environmental compliance programs, including hazardous waste sites, various permits and RCRA clean ups.
- Developed corporate governance best practices at public and private companies.
- Managed international trademark and design patent portfolio for a consumer product company.
- Managed several patent and trademark infringement suits, offense and defense. Settled largest case for $25 million recovery.
- Developed a comprehensive patent program and reward system including a business valuation component.
- IP strategy development to maximize protection and return on investment, including licensing and business development of IP.
- Managed spin off's and divestitures, mergers and acquisitions, technology commercialization programs and ventures.
- Converted two operating divisions into subsidiaries which were spun off and sold to multinational corporations.
- Experience with both US and foreign distribution networks. Consolidated European distribution companies into wholly owned subsidiary. Obtained Congressional grants totaling millions of dollars from the U.S. Department of Defense, and leveraging Government purchase contracts.
- Experience with a number of Government economic development programs, winning tax exemptions, incentives and grants for rewards exceeding $1 million annually.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1973
- Middlebury College, B.S., 1970
- New York, 1974
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Association of Corporate Counsel, past-president of both Central and Western New York chapters
- Business Council of New York, Member of General Counsels, Energy and Environmental Committees, Company Representative
- Manufacturers Association of Central New York, Company Representative
- Hospice of the Finger Lakes, Board of Directors, 1996-2002
- Everson Museum of Art, Board of Trustees, 2002-2012; President, 2007-2008
- First Presbyterian Church, Skaneateles, New York, Elder
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Of Counsel
- Blue Highway, Co-founder, Senior Vice President, Legal & Governmental Affairs (Current Affiliation)
- Welch Allyn, Vice President, Secretary and General Counsel
- Oneida Ltd, Vice President, Secretary and General Counsel
- Syracuse University College of Law, Adjunct Professor (Current Affiliation)
- New York State Science & Technology Law Center, Faculty Supervisor
- U.S. Army, Lieutenant Colonel