Joe Murphy is a commercial litigator representing a range of corporate clients in federal and state courts and agencies. He has experience handling matters that involve securities, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, white collar crime and government investigations, government procurement, health care and bankruptcy litigation.
Joe has also been heavily involved in pro bono work, including consumer fraud cases, criminal appeals and step-parent adoptions.
- Represent health care providers with state and federal regulatory compliance and disputes with government and private payors.
- Represent former members of group self-insured trusts in negotiations with New York State Workers Compensation Board concerning joint and several liability for multi-million dollar trust deficit and in litigation in federal bankruptcy and state courts seeking damages from former trust administrator and associates. Represented GE Energy Financial Services in securing regulatory approval from FERC and state and regional utility regulatory bodies for power transmission facility.
- Represented telecommunications vendor challenging bid process by county government.
- Represented Superintendent of Insurance as Rehabilitator of the Executive Life Insurance Company of New York in reviewing sale of structured insurance payments.
- Defended national bank in credit fraud suit in federal and state courts.
- Brought class action and hybrid Article 78 proceeding/declaratory judgment action and obtained temporary restraining order prohibiting the New York State Department of Health from restricting specialty drugs under the Medicaid program.
- Defended drug treatment center in multiple state and federal agency and court proceedings by criminal and regulatory authorities seeking temporary receiver and revocation of operating license.
- Represented subcontractors in construction payment disputes.
- St. John's University School of Law, J.D., Executive Articles Editor, St. John’s Law Review, 2007
- George Washington University, M.A., 1992
- West Virginia University, B.S., 1988
- New York, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- "Court Battle Over NY Health Regulations Will Continue," Law360, April 29, 2014
- "NY Managed Care Organizations Flex Muscle Under ACA," Law360, January 21, 2014
- “Delaware Quarterly, Recent Developments in Delaware Business and Securities Law,” Co-author, Bank and Corp. Governance L. Reporter, Vol. 41, No.1 (Sept. 2008); Vol. 44, No.4 (June 2010)
- Super Lawyers Magazine, 2016, 2017 Rising Star for Health Care Law
- Selected as a 2013 Empire State Counsel Honoree by the New York State Bar Association
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Associate
- Dewey & LeBoeuf, LLP, Associate