John primarily concentrates his practice in business law, commercial real estate, and economic development law matters, representing businesses in a variety of aspects ranging from daily operations that include contract preparation and negotiations to succession planning and mergers and acquisitions.
John counsels buyers, sellers, real estate developers, landlords, and tenants in commercial leasing matters and provides legal counsel and strategic guidance to lenders and borrowers in mortgage financings. He additionally advises and represents NYS economic development entities that include industrial development agencies and land banks.
He serves as general counsel to the New York Land Bank Association and the Greater Syracuse Land Bank, and also serves as examining counsel for Stewart Title Insurance Corporation, Old Republic Title Insurance Company, and Chicago Title Insurance Company.
- Represented the Greater Syracuse Land Bank in the acquisition of over 1,500 parcels of real property and the sale of over 500 since fall 2013.
- Authored numerous revisions to Article 16 of the New York Not-for-Profit Corporation Law on behalf of the New York Land Bank Association. The revisions save land banks across NYS hundreds of thousands in recording fees, property disposition expenses, special assessments, special ad valorem levies, and user fees.
- Represented an IDA in a straight-lease transaction for financial assistance related to the construction of a $30 million yogurt manufacturing facility.
- Represented an IDA in a straight-lease transaction for financial assistance related to the construction of a $9 million medical equipment manufacturing facility.
- Represented an IDA in a straight-lease transaction for financial assistance related to a $16 million renovation of an historic building for residential and commercial use.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D.
- Syracuse University Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, M.P.A.
- Emory University, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Cortland County Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Regular speaker at the New York Land Bank Association Annual Conference
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV” Peer Review Rated for Very High to Preeminent Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Menter, Rudin & Trivelpiece, P.C., Shareholder