John is an experienced attorney who has been practicing for over 50 years and has extensive knowledge and experience in the areas of litigation, commercial law, public law, and healthcare.
John began his legal career in 1958 as a confidential law clerk to the Honorable Walter B. Reynolds, Appellate Division, Third Department. He was elected District Attorney of Chemung County in 1968 and was appointed a Judge of the New York State Court of Claims in 1973 where he sat in Supreme County in New York, Kings, Monroe and Chemung Counties. In 1977, John was a founding partner in the Elmira law firm of Davidson & O’Mara. He was Chemung County Attorney from 1983 to 1989 and in 1995, he served as special counsel to New York Governor George E. Pataki. John was Commissioner and Chairman of the New York State Public Service Commission from 1995 to 1998. He also served as a member and Chairman of the New York Commission on Judicial Nomination from 1995 to 2009.
John graduated from LeMoyne College in 1955 with a Bachelor of Arts degree. He received his LL.B. degree from Cornell University in 1958. In 2000, John received an Honorary Doctor of Laws from SUNY Oswego.
John is a member of the New York State Bar Association, Chemung County Bar Association and the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is admitted to practice in New York and the U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit.
- As Chairman of the New York Public Service Commission, he led the restructuring of New York's electric industry and the entry of Bell Atlantic (now Verizon) into long distance.
- State University of New York at Oswego, Honorary Doctor of Laws, 2000
- Cornell University, LL.B., 1958
- LeMoyne College, B.A., 1955
- New York, 1958
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Chemung County Bar Association
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Of Counsel
- Davidson & O'Mara, P.C.
- New York Public Service Commission, Commissioner and Chairman
- New York Governor George Pataki, Special Counsel
- New York State Court of Claims, Judge
- Chemung County District Attorney
- Chemung County Attorney
- New York Commission on Judicial Nomination, Member and Chairman