Doug Barclay has practiced with the firm which bears his name for over 48 years, focusing on banking and administrative law. He was a Founding Director and for many years served as General Counsel to KeyCorp, a regional bank holding company. During his tenure he participated in Keycorp’s growth measured in assets from $1 billion to $100 billion. Doug has been a Director, Officer, or General Counsel to other local and listed Stock Exchange corporations.
Doug served as a New York State Senator for many years and was the sponsor of major legislation in criminal justice and court reform. He also chaired the Senate Codes Committee and the Senate Committee on the Judiciary.
On the Federal level, by Presidential appointment, he served on the Board of Directors of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) and on the International level, by Presidential appointment, served as a member of the panel of Conciliators of the International Center of the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). More recently he served as the United States Ambassador to the Republic of El Salvador.
Over the years as legal Counsel to individuals and corporations, Doug has been involved in a myriad of legal and governmental issues and is well positioned and experienced to counsel and advise clients on local, New York State, national, and international issues.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1961
- Yale University, B.A., 1955
- New York, 1962
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- Panel of Conciliators of the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), appointed by President George W. Bush (2002)
- Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), former Director, 1990-1993
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Syracuse University, Trustee Emeritus; former Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- New York State Economic Development Power Allocation Board, former Member
- New York Racing Association, former Trustee
- Clarkson University, former Member of Board of Trustees
- The Republic of El Salvador bestowed the decoration of the Orden Nacional Jose Matias Delgado en el Grado de Gran Cruze de Plata Decoration, 2007
- The El Salvadorian National Congress bestowed the decoration of Noble Amigo de El Salvador, 2006
- Honorary Doctorate Degrees: LeMoyne College, Syracuse University, State University of New York, Clarkson University, St. Lawrence University
- Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities, John Jay Higher Education Leadership Award, 1997
- Clarkson University, Bertrand S. Snell Award, 1987
- Syracuse University, George Arents Pioneer Medal for Excellence in Law and Public Service, 1984
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV” Peer Review Rated for Very High to Preeminent Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Of Counsel
- Ambassador of the United States of America to the Republic of El Salvador (2003-2007)
- KeyCorp, General Counsel and Secretary (1971-1989) and former Member of Board of Directors and Executive Committee. Among his innovative banking transactions was the creation of one of the first bona fide bank holding company mergers across state lines and the establishment of a non-banking trust company as an independent unit of a holding company under New York law.
- Former Member of Board of Directors for Empire Airlines, Syracuse China, Giant Portland & Masonry Cement Company, Coradian Corporation, Mohawk Airlines, and Excelsior Insurance Company.
- Artillery Officer, U.S. Army Korea 1956
- New York State Senator, 1965-1984. Sponsored 522 bills that were signed into law, including legislation in housing, criminal justice, court reform and economic development; held various positions including Chair Codes Committee, Chair Senate Committee on Judiciary, Chair Select Task Force on Court Reorganization, Chair Joint Committee on Housing & Urban Development, Chair Select Committee on Moral Obligation Financing, Chair Corporation Committee, and Chair Senate Republican (Majority) Conference.