Gerard concentrates his practice on sports, corporate, and business law. He serves as a foreign legal consultant, a designation bestowed by the Law Society of Upper Canada that allows attorneys admitted to practice in the U.S. to provide legal counsel in Canada regarding US law.
Gerry was a professional NHL hockey player for several teams during the course of his athletic career and is intimately familiar with all facets of sports law. Following law school, Gerry maintained and utilized his sports industry knowledge to handle contracts, immigration, and negotiation matters. He spent time as the assistant general manager, corporate secretary and associate counsel to the Niagara Frontier Hockey Limited Partnership—Buffalo Sabres and was then promoted to vice president and general manager for the Sabres, spending 13 years overseeing the business and management of the organization and providing legal counsel and advice on a variety of topics.
Within the NHL, he held additional positions of leadership NHL General Managers Committee chairman, where he presided over semi-annual meetings that dealt with topics such as collective bargaining issues, playing rules changes, league-wide game scheduling, conference alignments, injury frequency and analysis, expansion issues, standard player contract matters, league discipline, and referee and officials recruitment and assessment. During his time with the Sabres, Gerry played an instrumental role in assisting in the defection of Alexander Mogilny, who went on to play for the Sabres, from Russia to the United States.
In 1996, Gerry left the Sabres organization and founded GMM Consulting Services, now Cardinal Consultants Ltd., which provides a wide variety of consulting services to sports teams, leagues, associations, and athletes.
- Legal counsel to Canadian clients with respect to US legal concerns.
- Legal counsel and business consulting to clients in the sports industry.
- Immigration and corporate law consultation to multinational businesses and individual clients.
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D., with honors, Moot Evidence Award and Robert J Connelly Trail Technique Award, 1982
- Canisius College, B.A., 1979
- New York, 1983
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada, Foreign Legal Consultant
- Sports Lawyers Association
- Canisius College, Former Sports Law Adjunct Professor
- Martindale-Hubbell “BV” Peer Review Rated for High to Very High Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Of Counsel
- Founder/President, Sutton Medical Technologies Ltd.
- Founder/Chairman, Cardinal Group of Companies Inc.
- Gerry Meehan, Attorney at Law
- Hodgson Russ LLP, Toronto, Canada, Independent Counsel/Foreign Legal Consultant
- Buffalo Sabres Productions, Intermission Host & Color Commentator
- Cohen, Swados, Wright, Hanifin, Bradford and Brett, LLP, Associate Attorney
- National Hockey League, Professional Hockey Player for 12 seasons
- Niagara Frontier Hockey Limited Partnership-Buffalo Sabres, Executive Vice President-Sports Operations (1993-1995), Vice President-General Manager (1986-1993),
- Assistant General Manager/Corporate Secretary/Associate Counsel (1984-1986)