Gerard Meehan concentrates his practice on sports, corporate and business law. He serves as a Foreign Legal Consultant, a designation bestowed by the Law Society of Upper Canada that allows attorneys admitted to practice in the U.S. to provide legal counsel in Canada regarding U.S. law.
Gerry was a professional NHL hockey player for several teams during the course of his athletic career and is intimately familiar with all facets of sports law. Following law school, Gerry maintained and utilized his sports-industry knowledge to handle contracts, immigration and negotiation matters. He spent time as the Assistant General Manager, Corporate Secretary and Associate Counsel to the Niagara Frontier Hockey Limited Partnership—Buffalo Sabres and was then promoted to Vice President and GM for the Sabres, spending 13 years overseeing the business and management of the organization and providing legal counsel and advice on a variety of topics. Within the NHL arena, he held positions of leadership serving as Chairman of the NHL General Managers Committee, where he presided over semi-annual meetings that dealt with topics such as collective bargaining issues, playing rules changes, league wide game scheduling, conference alignments, injury frequency and analysis, expansion issues, standard player contract matters, and league discipline as well as referee/officials recruitment and assessment. During his time with the Sabres, Gerry played an instrumental role in assisting in the defection of Alexander Mogilny, who went on to play for the Sabres, from Russia to the United States.
In 1996, Gerry left the Sabres organization and founded GMM Consulting Services, now Cardinal Consultants Ltd., which provides a wide variety of consulting services to sports teams, leagues and associations as well as athletes.
- Legal counsel to Canadian clients with respect to U.S. legal concerns
- Legal counsel and business consulting to clients in the sports industry
- Immigration and corporate law consultation to multinational businesses and individual clients
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D., with honors, Moot Evidence Award and Robert J Connelly Trail Technique Award, 1982
- Canisius College, B.A., 1979
- New York, 1983
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada, Foreign Legal Consultant
- Sports Lawyers Association
- Canisius College, Adjunct Professor, Sports Law, 1995-1997
- Martindale-Hubbell “BV” Peer Review Rated for High to Very High Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Of Counsel
- Founder/President, Sutton Medical Technologies Ltd.
- Founder/Chairman, Cardinal Group of Companies Inc.
- Gerry Meehan, Attorney at Law
- Hodgson Russ LLP, Toronto, Canada, Independent Counsel/Foreign Legal Consultant
- Buffalo Sabres Productions, Intermission Host & Color Commentator
- Cohen, Swados, Wright, Hanifin, Bradford and Brett, LLP, Associate Attorney
- National Hockey League, Professional Hockey Player for 12 seasons
- Niagara Frontier Hockey Limited Partnership-Buffalo Sabres, Executive Vice President-Sports Operations (1993-1995), Vice President-General Manager (1986-1993),
- Assistant General Manager/Corporate Secretary/Associate Counsel (1984-1986)