Francis (“F.X.”) has more than 25 years of experience as a corporate transactional attorney focusing on mergers and acquisitions, financings and commercial transactions for “middle market” clients. He serves a diverse group of clients in the brewing, railroad products, insurance, financial printing, software development, industrial valve, health care and other industries. He regularly represents businesses in their start-up phases and businesses in financial stress before and after bankruptcy. He also represents lenders and borrowers in asset-based and other secured transactions.
F.X. is a 1979 graduate of Dartmouth College. After several years working in corporate banking in New York City and Houston, he attended Duquesne University School of Law, where he was Executive Articles Editor for the Law Review. After graduating from law school, F.X. began a 17 year career as a transactional lawyer for two of Pittsburgh’s largest firms. In 2002, F.X. returned to his hometown (Utica) and joined Barclay Damon as “of counsel.”
In addition to his affiliation with Barclay Damon, F.X. is managing partner of The Matt Law Firm, PLLC, a boutique firm, based in Utica, New York and focusing on corporate and commercial law for “middle market” clients in Central New York, Pennsylvania and Northern Virginia. In this capacity, he continues to work closely with his colleagues at Hiscock & Barclay.
F.X. is active in civic affairs. He is President of the Board of Trustees of the Munson Williams Proctor Arts Institute and past President of the Board of Trustees of the Utica Public Library. He is a former director and Executive Committee member of the Revolutionary Trails Council (Boy Scouts) and of Sculpture Space. He also served on the trustees advisory council for SUNY IT.
- Represented manufacturer of railroad wheels and axles in the $340 million sale of its business to a Japanese multinational conglomerate.
- Represented a finance company in the formation of a bankruptcy remote affiliate for financing its purchase of trade receivables. The transaction required senior debt and mezzanine financing to support the finance company's operations.
- Developed and negotiated a series of "take or pay" purchase and sale contracts providing the client seller with a guaranteed income stream from customers to support the financing of its $40 million facility expansion.
- Represented local manufacturer in its acquisition of a series of adjacent real estate parcels to enable plant expansion with Industrial Development Authority financing.
- Represented integrated steel producer and manufacturer of railroad wheels and axles in its strategic acquisition of the railroad wheel subsidiaries of a French steel conglomerate. The acquisition, which was negotiated and closed in France, required senior debt and mezzanine financing totaling over $130 million and the recapitalization of the acquiring company.
- Represented a manufacturer of wire products in a series of roll-up acquisitions of its distributors. Each acquisition required an additional round of senior asset-based financing and mezzanine subordinated debt.
- Represented debtor-in-possession in the sale if its assets, an integrated steel mill and manufacturer of rolls and castings for the steel industry.
- Represented an integrated manufacturer in a $140 million high yield senior secured notes (Rule 144A) offering.
- Represented a syndication of banks providing senior acquisition and recapitalization financing to support roll-up acquisitions by a distributor of electrical products for the utility industry.
- Duquesne University, J.D., Executive Articles Editor, Law Review, 1986
- Dartmouth College, A.B., with distinction, 1979
- New York, 2002
- Pennsylvania, 1986
- American Bar Association, Commercial Financial Services Committee
- New York State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Munson Williams Proctor Arts Institute, President, Board of Trustees
- Utica Public Library, Board of Trustees, Past President
- Sculpture Space, Former Board Member
- Revolutionary Trails Council, Boy Scouts of America - Former Board Member
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV” Peer Review Rated for Very High to Preeminent Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Of Counsel