Amy has broad experience with real property tax, eminent domain, and land use disputes involving businesses, energy and utility, and individual clients.
Amy routinely assists energy and utility clients in negotiating reductions in tax assessments resulting in substantial real property tax savings. Amy also routinely advises clients in the defense of eminent domain proceedings, including the preliminary hearing stages to litigation involving the acquisition of real property interests, trade fixtures, and leasehold rights.
Amy also represents not-for-profit agencies in the health care field, specifically with agencies serving individuals with developmental disabilities, mental illness or alcohol and drug abuse issues. She routinely counsels health care clients who are responding to Medicaid and other government investigations and audits as well as related employment and contract matters.
Amy litigates primarily in state courts, including trade fixture valuation matters, eminent domain procedure law, and Article 78 special proceedings. Amy has also litigated in federal court, having successfully obtained verdicts against two correction officers in a pro bono §1983 civil rights action involving the violation of a prisoner’s constitutional rights.
Amy is an active member of the Women's Forum, a firm initiative with the goal of creating opportunities for personal and professional growth among business women throughout the community.
- Represented a major utility in a real property tax dispute resulting in $7 million in real property tax refunds.
- Represents several large not-for-profit agencies serving individuals with developmental disabilities. Matters included real estate development and financing and defending agencies under Medicaid audits by the Office of Medicaid Inspector General (OMIG) and the Office of People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD).
- Represents an industrial development agency in acquiring lease interests of various mall tenants and defending against claims for compensation in an eminent domain proceeding to support a multi-billion economic revitalization project in central New York.
- Represents hydroelectric assets and utility owners in multiple litigation matters, including obtaining in excess of $1 million in tax refunds as a result of negotiations and the commencement of tax assessment proceedings against municipalities who over-assess utility property. Also represents these owners in defending against eminent domain acquisition of utility assets by condemning authorities and seeking damages for such takings, as well as commencing Article 78 special proceedings challenging municipal acts affecting the use of the utility property and assets.
- Represented a municipality in acquiring a parking garage by eminent domain for reconstruction and to support a public project.
- Defends municipalities against proceedings brought by individuals and businesses to challenge property tax assessments.
- Represented a brewery owner in successfully challenging its excessively assessed property interests, resulting in a settlement that mutually benefitted the brewery, the municipality, and school district.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 2002
- LeMoyne College, B.A., 1999
- New York, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- United Way of Central New York, Firm Campaign Coordinator, 2003-2004
- New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section's Committee on Not-For-Profit Entities and Concerns 2019 Annual Meeting Program, "Affordable Housing Tax Credits and Pursuing Supportive Housing Projects"
- New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section's Committee on Not-For-Profit Entities and Concerns 2019 Annual Meeting Program, "Medicaid Reimbursement and the State’s Treatment of Administrative Overhead Expenses"
- New York State Bar Association, "Not so Fast Assessor- The Reduction or Elimination of Taxes Based on Exemptions or Environmental No No's," July 2018
- Super Lawyers: Energy and Real Property Tax & Condemnation Rising Star, 2013-2015, 2017
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Associate