Don McCauley has more than 30 years of experience in commercial and energy matters, representing clients domestically and internationally. He represents energy clients in project development and financing, sales and acquisitions, power contract negotiation and restructuring, and renewable energy attribute trading. His energy work is based on an extensive background in commercial, securities, finance, bankruptcy, and real estate matters. He regularly counsels clients in the formation and governance of partnerships, limited liability companies, corporations, and joint ventures. At all times, he strives to provide practical and creative solutions and enhance relationships.
Don has wide experience in the energy industry. He has represented and been outside general counsel to numerous solar developers on projects across the U.S. He served on the creditors committee in the bankruptcy of a major energy trading company. Don has also been an arbitrator and expert witness in energy contract disputes and was a member of the working group that created FERC's standard interconnection policies.
Don has assisted a British energy company in implementing New Electricity Trading Arrangements and led the legal team in many power contract restructurings and related project financings that replaced power, fuel, and financing arrangements for qualifying cogeneration and small power production facilities with new market-based power supply arrangements. He was general counsel to an energy trading company overseeing the creation of a national network of trading contracts in the U.S. and served as lead counsel for the Fauji Kabirwala power project in Pakistan. He has been involved in many cogeneration projects and represented one of the parties developing an energy-based mixed use redevelopment of a brownfield industrial area in the Midwest.
In addition to serving as of counsel at Barclay Damon, Don is a partner at McCauley Lyman LLC.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1982
- Williams College, B.A., magna cum laude, 1978
- Massachusetts, 2002
- District of Columbia, 1988
- American Bar Association, Project Finance and Development Committee of Business Law Section Co-Chair
- Energy Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Minnesota Bar Association
- DC Bar Association
- Town of Wellesley, Massachusetts, Moderator, Board of Selectmen, Planning Board, and Advisory Committee Member
- "Barclay Damon Sees Future in Renewable Energy," Buffalo Law Journal, November 2017
- Edison Mission Marketing & Trading, Inc., Regional Vice President and Counsel
- Citizens Power LLC, Senior Vice President and General Counsel
- McDermott, Will & Emery, Partner
- Nixon, Hargrave, Devans & Doyle, Associate
- Doherty, Rumble & Butler, Associate