Courtney focuses her practice on real estate law and institutional lending. She negotiates and handles real estate acquisition, sale transactions, and financing on behalf of clients ranging from individuals to small businesses to national corporations.
Courtney draws on her New York City training and experience in the representation of institutional lenders in both real estate secured and non-real estate secured commercial financing transactions, including conventional mortgage loans, commercial mortgage-backed securities, and construction loans. She represents for-profit and not-for-profit entities in the acquisition, development, and financing of commercial properties. Further, she provides real estate and finance counsel to clients on the sale, acquisition, and financing of big box shopping centers throughout the east coast. Courtney has an extensive background representing landlords and tenants in commercial leasing negotiations for retail, office, manufacturing, and shopping center lease transactions, as well as real estate development ground lease transactions. As examining counsel to several title insurance companies, Courtney analyzes and examines real estate titles.
As counsel to energy-industry clients, Courtney provides guidance on land use matters and establishing environmental easements and deed restrictions. She also has experience in representing religious corporations in the sale and acquisition of real property, including assisting religious and not-for-profit corporations in the application process for Supreme Court or Attorney General approval for such transactions as required under New York State law.
Working together with our commercial litigation attorneys, Courtney routinely provides substantive support in connection with real estate matters involving easements and rights of way, leasing, riparian rights, adverse possession, eminent domain, foreclosures, and title examination.
Courtney is a member of the firm's Women's Forum, which fosters interaction and career mentoring in a gender specific environment.
- Acted as lead real estate and financing attorney for client's purchase of four commercial shopping centers located in four different states outside of New York State. The purchase was financed with a $21,000,000 conduit loan and was secured by four mortgages.
- Acted as lead real estate and finance attorney in the $30,000,000 refinance of four commercial shopping centers located in four different states outside of New York State. The loan was secured by four mortgages. This financing included defeasance of two existing loans simultaneous with the $30,000,000 closing.
- Acted as lead real estate and finance attorney for client's purchase of a shopping center in South Carolina. The client assumed loan from seller, and worked extensively with lender's counsel on the loan assumption documents.
- Acted as lead real estate and finance attorney in connection with dozens of multi-million dollar shopping center acquisitions and/or refinances, totaling over $350,000,000, in Maryland, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Virginia, West Virginia, South Carolina, Louisiana, Tennessee, and New York, many of which contained a 1031 Like-Kind Exchange component and assignment of an existing mortgage.
- Provided extensive lease examination for client's multi-million dollar utility company asset acquisition.
- Represented utility company in establishing deed restrictions and environmental easements on dozens of former manufactured gas plant sites, as required by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., Executive Editor for Lead Articles, Albany Law Review, 2006
- LeMoyne College, B.A., magna cum laude, 2003
- New York, 2007
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Central New York Women's Bar Association
- Member of Diocese of Syracuse Catholic Lawyers Guild
- Baltimore Woods Nature Center, Inc., Board Member
- Prevention Network, Board of Directors
- Onondaga County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyer Project, Landlord Tenant Court Program, Volunteer Advocate for Tenants
- Onondaga County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project, Family Court Clinic
- Onondaga County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project, Pro Se Divorce Clinic
- Say Yes to Education, Volunteer Attorney
- United Way of Central New York, Campaign Coordinator
- ARC of Onondaga
- HOPE for Bereaved, Annual Celebration of HOPE Dinner, Planning Committee
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Counsel
- Windels Marx Lane & Mittendorf, LLP, Associate
- Office of the Counsel to the New York State Assembly Majority, Legal Intern
- Health Law Project, Albany Law School Clinical Legal Studies Program, Legal Intern
- Archdiocese of New York, Office of General Counsel, Summer Associate