Chris Hanifin brings 15 years of experience as a senior legal advisor with private sector corporations, governmental organizations, and the U.S. military to his practice. He has proven leadership within diverse legal disciplines, including administrative and utility regulation, administrative litigation, transaction negotiations, contracts, real estate, litigation, corporate governance, and military defense and administrative law.
Chris has extensive experience with sophisticated transactions and agreements involving varied regulatory challenges and legal issues in education, government, and corporate environments.
- Represent clients in a wide array of energy, gas, and other regulatory legal and policy matters, focusing on complex legal and policy issues in the energy, alternative energy, and compliance issues before various state agencies, including the New York State Public Service Commission and Federal Communications Commission. Monitor key legislation and regulatory activity. Petition before the New York Commission on contract and other issues as needed.
- Analyze government contracts and address contract issues and Federal Acquisition Regulations with the Department of the Army and Watervliet Arsenal Partnership.
- Partition Action under the RPAPL; represent client on purchase and sale of house and related family transactional issues to avoid tenants in common partition action.
- Represented individual in claim for additional spousal maintenance and child support; represented client on related family transactional issues and support payments proceeding in Family Court.
- Submitted application before the New York Public Service Commission, including Article VII, to build an estimated $2 billion, 330-mile underwater cable that would bring hydroelectric power from Quebec to New York City.
- Advise corporate clients on corporate governance, board actions, employment matters, by-laws, and general business matters. Defend against litigation, including corporate dissolution proceedings, orders to show cause, and other matters requesting injunctive relief.
- Draft various petitions regarding transfers of Article VII Certificates, asset transfers, petitions for lightened regulation, and petitions for waivers of New York Public Service Commission regulatory requirements.
- Represent client in a wide array of telephone, cable, and other regulatory legal and policy matters. Focus on complex legal and policy issues in the telecommunications industry, cable, and compliance issues before various state agencies, including the New York State Public Service Commission and Federal Communications Commission. Monitor key legislation and regulatory activity. Litigate motions and proceedings before the Commission, including testimony, motions, briefs, and settlement discussions. Serve association as well as individual utility clients. Successfully negotiated contract settlements.
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., 1996
- Siena College, B.A., magna cum laude, 1993
- New York, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Military Courts - Martial
- Saint Thomas the Apostle Church of Delmar, Lector
- Town of Bethlehem Noise Ordinance Committee, Member
- Town of Bethlehem Youth Court, Mentor
- Town of Bethlehem Police Court, Assistant Town Attorney
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Of Counsel
- United States Army, 7th Army Joint Multi-National Training Command, Vilseck, Germany, Chief, Legal Assistance Division (2009-2010)
- United States Army Reserve, 154th Trial Defense Legal Support Organization, Major (2006-Present)
- United States Army, Trial Defense Service, CENTCOM and USAREUR, Senior Defense Counsel, Trial Defense Counsel (2006-2008)
- The Research Foundation of State University of New York: Acting General Counsel (2008-2009), Deputy General Counsel (2004-2008), Assistant V.P. of Legal Affairs (2003-2004)
- Choice One Communications, Inc., Associate General Counsel/Director, Legal and Regulatory Affairs (2000-2003)
- New York State Consumer Protection Board, General Counsel (2000)
- United States Attorney at Fort Drum, Special Assistant (1999-2000)
- New York State Public Service Commission, Department of Public Service, Assistant Counsel (1998-2000)