Bella S. Satra focuses her practice in patent and complex commercial litigation and has represented clients in various areas and industries including broadband and telecommunications, electric power generation, transmission and distribution systems, medical diagnostic equipment, and pharmaceuticals. Prior to joining Barclay Damon, she practiced in the San Francisco office of Paul Hastings, LLP and handled matters involving antitrust and unfair competition, intellectual property, bankruptcy, and contract disputes.
Bella is also experienced in appellate litigation and has briefed matters before the New York Appellate Divisions, the Ninth Circuit and the Ninth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel. She is admitted to practice in New York and California.
Bella is a member of the firm's affinity group, the Women's Forum, which promotes diversity and inclusion initiatives both at the firm and in the community.
- Successfully obtained a jury verdict of willful patent infringement in federal district court as part of trial team representing the industry leader in coaxial cable connectors against its primary competitor.
- Representing a leading global manufacturer of medical diagnostic equipment in patent and trade dress infringement suit.
- Representing multinational corporation in ANDA patent litigation pertaining to its blockbuster OTC medication.
- Assisted in successfully representing a Fortune 200 energy company in challenging property tax assessments at trial and negotiating a payment in lieu of tax agreement.
- Assisted in the successful acquisition of property interests for construction of transmission line.
- Assisted in representing major dental appliance manufacturer against competitor for claims of unfair competition and patent infringement.
- Assisted in representing a national real estate joint venture client in trial victory in Bankruptcy Court involving a motion for relief from stay to pursue legal remedies and thereafter defeating emergency motions to stay the ruling before the Ninth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel.
- Assisted in representing international electronics manufacturer against antitrust claims in multi-district litigation.
- Pro bono matters include successfully obtaining asylum on behalf of refugee as well as negotiating settlement to prevent eviction of tenant.
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2009
- Northwestern University, B.A., 2003
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- Innovation American Inn of Court, Member
- "What Will Become of Alice?" New York State Bar Association: Bright Ideas, Spring/Summer 2016
- “Federal Circuit Claim Construction after Teva,” American Bar Association: Intellectual Property Litigation, Fall 2015
- "Federal Circuit Addresses the Role of District Courts in Assessing Patent Damages, Expert Witness Testimony, and Reasonable Royalty Evidence," New York State Bar Association, Bright Ideas, Co-Author, Winter 2014
- "Post-Nautilus Most Indefinite Patent Challenges Fail," Law360, September 16, 2014
- Super Lawyers Magazine, 2016 Rising Star for Intellectual Property
- Recipient of 2012-2014 Honor Roll of Pro Bono Service for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Associate
- Paul Hastings LLP, Associate
- Land of Lincoln Legal Assistance Foundation, Legal Intern
- Kane County (IL) Public Defender's Office, Research Assistant