Diversity & Inclusion
Barclay Damon strives to proactively build, promote and maintain mutually beneficial relationships through the recognition, inclusion and support of the range of human differences.
The firm offers a workplace of choice to persons from all cultures, lifestyles and experiences – acting on the belief that an inclusive work environment provides an atmosphere that allows all individuals to attain their greatest potential.
We understand that fostering an inclusive environment that values an individuals’ unique abilities, allows us to recruit and retain the best attorneys and staff while delivering the highest level of client service. Our goal is to be a leader in diversity and inclusion, and to attract, retain and promote a diverse and inclusive organization. Our Women’s Forum was formed to create an environment for sharing ideas about personal and professional lives in a gender specific setting. The goal is to provide meaningful interaction and mentoring opportunities to assist our female attorneys in developing successful strategies regarding leadership, client and professional development as well as marketing. It also serves as a forum for the sharing of information, experiences and problem-solving ideas related to work life balance. One of the outcomes of these sessions was our Alternative Work arrangement, which allows for a flexible work schedule, and ten percent of our Associates have taken advantage of this arrangement.
Our goal is to be a leader in diversity and inclusion and, to that end, Barclay Damon leadership encourages firm-wide participation in diversity and inclusion-related initiatives.
The Diversity Partners and Diversity Leadership Teams in each of the firm’s offices meet regularly to promote charitable and community events, participate in pro bono activities and publish Voices of Excellence, our quarterly newsletter. Barclay Damon’s Lunch ‘n Learn presentations are an opportunity for outside speakers to share their diverse experiences with all the members of our firm.
We are committed to creating a firm that reflects the world in which we live.
Diversity Summer Associate Program
Barclay Damon and the Syracuse University College of Law has partnered to develop a new Diversity 1L Summer Associate Program that offers a paid summer associate position to a first-year law student from a historically underrepresented group within the legal field. This program is the only one of its kind in Central New York.
Many law firms offer summer work opportunities to second-year law students. However, finding summer work in the field of law can be difficult for first-year students, including students from diverse backgrounds. For most first-year law students, summer positions are unpaid internships.
- Barclay Damon Hosts Women's Forum Networking Event at Hotel Henry
- For Albany Tax Exemptions, it Depends on What The Meaning of 'Commercial' is
- Barclay Damon Succeeds in Getting Cellino and Barnes Court Docs Unsealed
- Sheila Gaddis Receives Bridge Builder Award
- New York Court of Appeals Narrows Trigger for Additional Insured Coverage
- Proposed Bill Would Allow Date Of Discovery To Control Statute Of Limitations In Medical Malpractice Actions
- Supreme Court Upholds ERISA Exemption for Retirement Plans of Religiously Affiliated Hospitals
- Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS) Publishes "Auto-Waiver" For Certain Providers To Reduce Admissions and Discharge Documentation Requirements When Transferring Patients