False Claims Act and Qui Tam Enforcement
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
James T. Foley U.S. Courthouse
Albany, N.Y. 13261
Hiscock & Barclay partner, Gabriel M. Nugent, will be a panel presenter at the Northern District of New York CLE program, False Claims Act and Qui Tam Enforcement.
The civil False Claims Act is one of the fastest growing areas of federal litigation, particularly because of its unique qui tam provisions, which allow private citizens to file suit alleging fraud on behalf of the government. If the government prevails in the action, the whistleblower (known as a "relator") receives up to 30 percent of the recovery. The Department of Justice secured $3.8 billion in False Claims Act settlements and judgments last fiscal year alone, of which relators received $345 million. Several million of those dollars were recovered as a result of cases filed in the Northern District of New York.
This comprehensive CLE features a well-balanced faculty of local and national False Claims Act practitioners who will speak from varying perspectives and address all aspects of False Claims Act and qui tam matters. Our speakers include representatives from the U.S. Department of Justice, the New York State Office of the Attorney General, a federal Inspector General's Office, as well as members of the relators and defense bars, to ensure a balanced discussion.
What You Will Learn
Whether you are a beginner or an expert, this CLE has something for you - from a presentation by United States Attorney Richard S. Hartunian on the types of cases that his office is bringing in upstate and central New York, to practical solutions regarding litigation strategy presented by seasoned practitioners in this field.
The CLE will include a primer on the False Claims Act, an overview of the federal government's role in False Claims Act litigation, and a panel discussion that will address various topics ranging from dealing with parallel civil, criminal, and administrative proceedings to emerging issues in qui tam litigation.
Time is reserved throughout the program to address registrants' questions.
CLE Credits: 4.5 credits towards the Professional Practice requirement. This program is appropriate for newly admitted and experienced attorneys.
Click here to visit the NDNY-FCBA Program page. Register by July 7, 2014.
- Barclay Damon Welcomes Back Attorney David Glasel
- Buffalo Business First: Meet Emerging Attorney Bridget Steele
- Attorney David Fulvio Joins Barclay Damon
- Attorneys Steve Blow and Alexandra Locke Join Barclay Damon
- Secondary Drug Wholesalers Get Some Relief in Federal Action Challenging VAWD-Accreditation Standards
- Medicare Shared Savings Program Version 2.0: Will the Carrot-and-Stick Approach Increase ACO Participation?
- Department of Health and Human Services Releases Cybersecurity Guidance and Resources Tailored to Health Industry
- Indemnification Provision in Alarm-Monitoring Contract Valid Despite Unresolved Questions of Fact Regarding Gross Negligence