False Claims Act and Qui Tam Enforcement
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
James T. Foley U.S. Courthouse
Albany, N.Y. 13261
Hiscock & Barclay partner, Gabriel M. Nugent, will be a panel presenter at the Northern District of New York CLE program, False Claims Act and Qui Tam Enforcement.
The civil False Claims Act is one of the fastest growing areas of federal litigation, particularly because of its unique qui tam provisions, which allow private citizens to file suit alleging fraud on behalf of the government. If the government prevails in the action, the whistleblower (known as a "relator") receives up to 30 percent of the recovery. The Department of Justice secured $3.8 billion in False Claims Act settlements and judgments last fiscal year alone, of which relators received $345 million. Several million of those dollars were recovered as a result of cases filed in the Northern District of New York.
This comprehensive CLE features a well-balanced faculty of local and national False Claims Act practitioners who will speak from varying perspectives and address all aspects of False Claims Act and qui tam matters. Our speakers include representatives from the U.S. Department of Justice, the New York State Office of the Attorney General, a federal Inspector General's Office, as well as members of the relators and defense bars, to ensure a balanced discussion.
What You Will Learn
Whether you are a beginner or an expert, this CLE has something for you - from a presentation by United States Attorney Richard S. Hartunian on the types of cases that his office is bringing in upstate and central New York, to practical solutions regarding litigation strategy presented by seasoned practitioners in this field.
The CLE will include a primer on the False Claims Act, an overview of the federal government's role in False Claims Act litigation, and a panel discussion that will address various topics ranging from dealing with parallel civil, criminal, and administrative proceedings to emerging issues in qui tam litigation.
Time is reserved throughout the program to address registrants' questions.
CLE Credits: 4.5 credits towards the Professional Practice requirement. This program is appropriate for newly admitted and experienced attorneys.
Click here to visit the NDNY-FCBA Program page. Register by July 7, 2014.
- Leading Bankruptcy Law Firm Menter, Rudin & Trivelpiece Combines With Barclay Damon
- Barclay Damon Secures Victory for Montana Department of Revenue
- New York State Bar Association Journal: A New York State of Marijuana
- Sara Payne Featured on RBJ BizCast Podcast
- A Second New York State Appellate Court Rejects the Department of Labor’s “13-Hour Rule” and Finds That Home Care Attendants Working 24-Hour Shifts Must Be Compensated for All 24-Hours
- A New Pitfall for Licensors of Multicomponent Inventions – the Supreme Court’s Life Techs Decision
- A Properly Executed “Release From Responsibility For Discharge” Form May Not Actually Release a Hospital
- 2016 Year in Review