Building Bridges or Building Walls? Crossing the Canada-U.S. Border in the Era of Trudeau and Trump
Thursday, June 8, 2017
2:30 pm - 12:00 am
Twenty Toronto Street Conferences and Events
20 Toronto Street
Toronto, Ontario M5C 2B8
Barclay Damon attorney Eileen M. Martin will speak at the Ontario Bar Association, Citizenship and Immigration Law Section on Thursday June 8, 2017.
Much has been said over the years about the friendship that Canada and the United States share. Both countries have benefited from the ability of goods and people to flow with relative ease across the world’s longest international border, an ability that was enhanced by the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement in 1989 and then the North American Free Trade Agreement (“NAFTA”) in 1994. In recent times, however, the very different views on immigration and global trade held by the Trudeau government and the Trump administration have made navigating the Canada-U.S. relationship, and the border between the two countries, more challenging. Join us as our panel of experts discuss what has already changed, and where the future may take us, including:
- How have the recent Trump Executive Orders affected Canadian citizens and permanent residents seeking to enter the United States?
- Is crossing the Canada-U.S. border more difficult today? What changes are we seeing?
- How do we best advise those seeking to travel across the Canada-U.S. border for pleasure, business or work?
- Bill C-23 – how will the proposed legislation to expand border preclearance at Canadian airports and other crossings affect travelers?
- Renegotiating NAFTA – fraught with peril or an opportunity to modernize and improve the agreement?
- Does Canada present options for individuals living in the U.S. without status?
Register now for this valuable opportunity to gain insights on the hottest topics in immigration today.
- Barclay Damon Litigator Linda Clark to Receive Scheindlin Award For Excellence in the Courtroom
- Gilberti Combo Earns Media Praise
- Energy-Environmental Gilberti Firm Combines With Barclay Damon
- Barclay Damon Partner Joseph Finnerty Honored by Investigative Post
- NYSDEC to Promulgate New Rule Regulating Air Emissions From the Oil and Gas Industry
- Colleges and Universities Targeted in Trending ADA Website Accessibility Litigation
- Appellate Division First Department Reaffirms “Interfamilial Immunity” From Contribution
- Plaintiffs Are Entitled To Prompt Payment Of A Settlement, But Non-Parties Are Not